Has the Pumpkin Spice Obsession Gone Too Far?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I can hear the collective gasp as basic autumn-lovers from all over the world collapse at the horror of someone questioning the all-powerful PSL. The pumpkin spice latte is the mastermind that started the entire pumpkin spice craze. After Starbucks released the popular drink back in 2003, the whole world was hooked. People couldn’t get enough of the seasonal beverage. Pretty soon companies began releasing other products that shared the pumpkin spice trend. Brands started releasing things like pumpkin spice breads, muffins, scones, and other baked goods.  Then a few years ago companies started coming out with more and more pumpkin spice products. And before we knew it, there was pumpkin spice everything. You have your pumpkin spice Milano cookies, Hershey’s kisses, and even Cheerios. Every year there are at least ten new pumpkin spice products. The sheer volume of products is overwhelming and they are getting progressively crazier. Here are just a few of my favorite over-the-top pumpkin spice products I have found.

Pumpkin Spice and Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Twinkies

These are just regular Twinkies filled with pumpkin spiced whipped cream, and if that wasn’t enough Hostess has also come out with pumpkin spice cheesecake Twinkies, because just regular pumpkin spice wouldn’t cut it.

Pumpkin Spice Bagels

Thomas came out with these limited addition pumpkin spice bagels just in time for the fall season. Which means you have just enough time to try them once, vow to never buy them again, and forget just in time for them to come back next year.

Pumpkin Spice Oreos

These seem pretty self-explanatory, Oreos filled with pumpkin spice cream. In all fairness, pumpkin spice isn’t the craziest flavor Oreos has come out with over the years. That honor would probably have to go to the watermelon or fruit punch flavors.

Pumpkin Spice Almonds

Planters also wanted it get in on the pumpkin spice phenomenon, so they came up with their pumpkin spice roasted almonds. I guess we will see if these stand the test of time or if they are gone by next year.

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal

Quaker has pumpkin spice oatmeal.  I am pretty sure it is just oatmeal with cinnamon and nutmeg in it, which you can just add to your regular oatmeal with little extra hassle.

Pumpkin Spice French Fries

Last but certainly not least is pumpkin spice French fries. Yes you heard me right. McDonald’s is releasing pumpkin spice French fries in select locations this fall. These seem to be just ordinary McDonald’s French fries with some kind of pumpkin spice frosting drizzled on top of them.

So I guess to answer the question, “To pumpkin spice, or not to pumpkin spice?” you have to look inside yourself. In my personal opinion, the pumpkin spice trend has definitely gone too far, not just in the increasingly crazier products, but also in the sheer number of new pumpkin spice products coming out every year. I am not saying I don’t like pumpkin spice, because I do. I actually love it. I just think that we need go back to simpler time where we just had a few great pumpkin spice items. We don’t need to make everything pumpkin spice. Some things just weren’t meant to be. I mean, come on, who can honestly say that pumpkin spice French fries were a good idea?

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor