This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I don’t understand why people are opposed to gun control laws. Have the last 363 shootings in 2019 provided no insight? Don’t tell me that video games are the problem. Walmart removing violent video games does nothing to solve the problem. Other countries have violent video games, too. Do you know what other countries have that the U.S doesn’t? Laws. 

For example, in Japan, people are required to attended an all-day class and pass a written test which is only held once a month. Then you must take and pass a shooting range class, after which you must take a mental test and drug test at a hospital which will be filed with police. Then you must pass a background check for affiliation with any crimes/criminals or extremist groups. Once you have the gun in your possession, you must provide police with documentation including the specific location of the gun and the ammo in your home and make sure they are locked and stored separately. Then the police must inspect the gun once a year and you must retake the class and exam every three years.

Once, when I was in Manhattan, a motorcycle backfiring triggered panic at Times Square in New York City. The entire crowd fled screaming towards any store they could find where they would be safe. I know how scary it was because I was there. My heart dropped. My adrenaline had never pumped faster, and the fear of seeing thousands of people start running with me brought me to tears. I thought that I was going to die.

Weapons have one purpose. Destruction. There is no other use for a gun. A gun is a weapon and all it takes is someone who’s trigger-happy to put a small piece of metal in your body and kill you. The 2nd Amendment, the right to bear arms, was for people who died of colds and rotting teeth and written at the same convention where the framers decided that slaves were only 3/5ths of a person. The purpose was to protect the people at that time when there was no prediction of how this country would grow. Protect the people with guns and now people want to protect the guns with the lives of people.

If you want to keep your gun, fine. Show me that you deserve to keep it in the first place. Get a permit for it. Have a written test, a mental test, a health test, a license, a shooting range test, a gun inspection and lock it away. If you don’t plan on using it to shoot up a Walmart or a movie theater, then I don’t see why you can’t go through a procedure to prove that these weapons are in trained hands. My life is not worth “your word” that I’m going to be safe.

Kristina Guzman is a sophomore at the University of Utah, majoring in Marketing with a minor in Media Studies. She's originally from Queens, New York and loves trying new things. She's traveled to 13 countries outside the U.S. and has climbed Machu Picchu and the Great Wall. In her first year of college, she started her own haircare business, Kurl Up, and is currently conducting research on making hair products for wavy, curly and coily hair. All products will be ethically sourced, fair-trade, cruelty free and organic so you can do your part to make the world look as good as your curls. Kristina also interned at a beauty services app, KLYP, in digital marketing where she analyzed target markets and created relevant content to boost web traffic and social media engagement. She was brought on as a full-time hire in summer 2020 as a digital marketing specialist. On a casual day, you'll find her watching YouTube tutorials (most likely in Spanish) on Photoshop, haircare, eyeliner or coding.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor