Drinks Based on Your Taste in Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Let’s face it. We are all dealing with a lot of shit right now. The pandemic. The election. That weird time of the semester where you can see the end, but it’s still so far away and you are drained. Living at home for some of us. And just so much more. Now is the perfect time to try out new cocktails and just chill out with some music that you love to deal with the stressors of the world. Here are some cocktails that you should drink based on the music you choose to destress with. 

POP

Ariana Grande performing
Photo by BerisikRadio.com distributed under a CC0 1.0 Public Domain license

A mixer of clear alcohol like vodka or white rum, and an energy drink of some sort. It will get you to where you want to be, and you will be so stoked about life. Pop is a great way to unwind and get out of your own head. It is light, it’s fun, it’s great. This is a genre you listen to with your friends, singing at the top of your lungs, recording yourselves having the time of your life as you think of a happier time and place. This drink will help you achieve that level of joy.

HIP-HOP

silhouette of people at a concert
Sebastian Ervi

A darker liquor like bourbon or scotch, or a mixer with gin and juice. This will help you unwind and think about the world’s problems in a more removed way and will give you a good way to process them with some of your favorite musical artists and alcohol. Hip-hop helps you realize all that is going on in the world and can get you out of your own head and problems. Just like it’s paired drinks. 

ROCK

rock concert
Photo by Vishnu R Nair from Unsplash

A simple, no-nonsense way to get drunk, like a cheap beer, boxed wine, or shots. Rock lets you jam out and sing as you play air guitar with your buddies or just listen to the incredible musical talent that is taking place. With this genre, you are just trying to experience the feelings that come with it. Don’t worry about the frills and the extra stuff. You just want to get a buzz going and listen to some of the best music ever created.

INDIE

bastille concert
Photo by Danielle2093 distributed under a CC BY 2.0 license

White wine. Indie is super chill, not high strung, very palatable, and a good addition to a calm night. Much like white wine, almost anyone can handle it, and it’s a good way to calm down, feel comfortable, and just be worry-free. 

ALT

musician playing guitar and singing on stage
Photo by Melanie van Leeuwen from Unsplash

A more tasty and complex beer. Something that will have interesting notes and be a little less palatable for some. The beer for the elites and the occasional dude-bro. We’re talkin’ IPAs, craft beers, or anything that comes in a bottle or can with a wildly interesting label. Complex beers and Alt music go hand-in-hand and are very similar because not everyone can handle them, and they are a little more than your average Rock band. 

COUNTRY

Taylor Swift / YouTube

Bourbon or cheap beer, or mix the two together if you’re feelin’ crazy. Country music is not my cup of tea, but seeing as we live in Utah, it felt necessary to include. When you are listening to country music, you are singing along, sympathizing with the artists’ worries or troubles, and you are just trying to drink something that doesn’t take away from the music or the feelings and will get you to where you want to be as you kick it with your friends. 

LATIN MUSIC

Red Lights and Disco Balls
Photo by Alexander Popov from Unsplash

Something fruity and sweet that will knock you on your ass. Or just straight-up tequila. No in-between. Latin music is fun, lively, and stellar. Much like the drinks paired with it, Latin music makes you feel like you should get on your feet, celebrate with others, and just have a grand ol’ time. Try something like a margarita, pina colada, or anything that is fruity and exciting. 

KPOP

man standing and holding microphone
Brandon Erlinger=Ford

Simple and classy. Something that will only add to the music. Like a nice bourbon, vodka, or gin. Kpop already has a lot going on, so drinking something chill that will add to your experience and get you in the mood to groove and have fun is the ideal. 

CLASSICAL MUSIC

Red curtains closed on a stage
Photo by Gwen O from Unsplash

Red wine. A little bit fancy, calming, and will make you tired. Classical music is the red wine of the music industry. Plain and simple. 

METAL

Person Playing Sun Burst Electric Bass Guitar in Bokeh Photography
freestocks.org/Pexels

Jack Daniels. Gets you hammered, puts some hair on your chest, and makes you feel like a badass. Just like metal music. If you are listening to metal, you just want to drown out the world, bang your head, and get lost in the music. Jack Daniels is a great way to do this, and it is very on-brand for the genre as a whole. 

Not all of my selections will go with every artist in that genre, but it should come pretty close. I got all of my inspiration from the website Drinkify, so go there, type in your favorite artist and make yourself a cocktail so you can make it through the rest of 2020.

Ry Iverson is a transgender sociology alum of the University of Utah. He grew up in Apple Valley, California and moved to Utah to be closer to family. He enjoys listening to music, reading, cooking, drawing, traveling, and helping others. He enjoys writing about his favorite TV shows, cooking, LGBTQ experiences, and advice, and in his free time he can be found laying on the ground outside taking in the world. Enjoy Ry's articles and everything he has to offer!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor