This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Winter is right around the corner and if you don’t feel prepared, these Mary Jane slippers are sure to keep you warm during those blustering nights. Make your grandmother proud with your new crafting skills by giving her a gift from the heart this Christmas. 

Make sure when you are buying yarn, that the hook size matches the yarn width. In my case, the hook is 5.00 MM. The yarn typically will tell you on the package what size needle you will need to use. 

Chain 5 and connect to first loop with a single crochet stitch

Do 9 double crochet stitches into the circle you just created and then conjoin the first stitch to the last stitch with a single crochet. Then pull the shorter string that is not attached the hook to cinch the circle tight. 

Chain 2

Begin by doing 2 double crochet stitches into each stitch. Once you make it all the way around and back to the first stitch, connect the first and last stitch with a single crochet.

1.) Chain 2. Alternate, 1 double crochet, 2 double crochet into the same stitch until you reach the end. Connect the first and last stitch with a single crochet.

2.) Chain 2. 1 double crochet into the first stitch, 1 double crochet into the second, 2 double crochet into the third stitch, continue until you reach the end.

Connect the first and last stich with a single crochet.

3.) Chain 2. 1 Double crochet into each stitch. Connect first and last stitch with single crochet.

4.) Repeat #3

Chain 2. Double crochet the first 25 stitches. Once you have counted 25 stitches, chain 2 again and turn, you will begin working backwards now. Finish that row until you reach the    other end.

Once you finish the last stitch on the other end, keep working back and forth over these 25 stitches, always remembering to chain two before you start crocheting. Do this for a count of 7 rows. This pattern is for a women’s size 8. If your foot is bigger or smaller, the size of the slipper can be adjusted in this step. Just continue adding more rows (or do less if you have small feet) of double crochet stitches into each stitch until there is about an inch or so left of room to create the heel, which will be detailed below. 

1.) On the 8th row begin to increase by chaining 2 and then doing 1 double crochet, 2 double crochet in the same stitch, one double crochet, two double crochet into the same stitch…

2.) Row 9, repeat #1

3.) Row 10, Chain 2. 1 double crochet into each stitch (rememeber we are still going back and forth between these 25 stiches still). 

Take both ends and fold together so they meet underneath the slipper

Begin to stitch together the back of the slipper by doing single crochet stitches.

Step 1.) Pull the hook through a stitch from each side, a close up view will be available below.

Pull the top loop through the second and then pull the string between my fingers through the last loop and the stitch is done. Continue doing this until the entire heel is stiched closed. Once the entire back is done, pull the string through the loop, cut, and pull the loop knot tight.

How to make the strap:

1.) Chain 5, chain 2 and then work backwards by starting the first stitch into the third loop, do single crochet stitches for a count of 4 and then turn.

2.) Chain 2, and start the first stitch into the second loop. Do 4 single crochet stiches.

3.) Continue doing single crochet stitches for a count of 4, and stitching back and forth until you reach the appropriate length for your slipper, dont forget to always chain 2 before starting your row.

Pull the string through the loop, cut the string and pull the loop knot tight. Then sew the strap onto the slipper! You can add a button for decoration as well.

Logan is a fellow Ute majoring in Sociology. She is an avid bird watcher, and spends her down time knitting infinity scarves and crocheting wall rugs. Her second home is at Trader Joe's where she can be found endlessly returning to the free sample table with absolutely no shame. Her greatest accomplishment to date is casually petting a wild bird at the youthful age of 3. When she is not taming wild animals she can be found pursuing her latest talent, that is cooking zucchini to perfection, and working on her Instagram model portfolio. One day she hopes to live in a van down by the river. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor