Life > Experiences

Disney Pixar’s “Turning Red” and Why It’s a Must See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’d assume most of us don’t remember the last time we watched an animated film. Next time the Netflix suggestions aren’t hitting the marking, head over to Disney+ and watch the highly relatable Meilin Lee conquer her way through adversity.  

Not only is this film laugh-out-loud funny, but it’s the first Pixar feature directed solely by a woman. Director Domee Shi was an intern at Pixar for 11 years and directed an Oscar-winning film in 2018. The idea for “Turning Red” came from Shi’s previous work on Bao the short film she made for Pixar that made her an Academy Award winner.

Shi told an insider that working with an all-female team made it easier to create this masterpiece. It led to the sharing of personal stories such as “embarrassing period stories” and the thrills of becoming a woman. The movie includes a scene involving Meilin getting her period for the first time, portraying images of pads and a discussion about what that means featuring the young girl’s mom portrayed as Ming Lee who is played by the beloved Sandra Oh.

Though controversial in many people’s eyes, the funny and ultimately heartfelt discussion about puberty is hilarious as an adult and beneficial for those watching who are still learning about their bodies. The film does not shy away from the inevitable situations that tweens must deal with, providing them with more prep than precaution.

Tween years are tough for everyone, and this film is inclusive for those that are entering it, are in it, or have just gotten out of it. Witty, charming, and overall one of the most feel-good movies that anyone can appreciate. When you watch this movie, you will transport back to your tween years and feel heard for all the misery that was once pushed aside; it’s truly worth a watch.

I'm a Junior at the University of Utah looking for journalism jobs possible to boost my resume. As I study the art of writing I am fascinated by the variety of expertise. I am fashion obsessed and would love to work within the fashion community one day. I am also the current project manager for HER Campus and love every second. As such, I hope to attend Parson's School of design and acquire a master's degree after my time here at the U. I enjoy taking writing courses, entrepreneurship courses, and ethical courses.