A Definitive Ranking of the Top 15 Christmas Songs of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

So you’re having a holiday party–or you’re looking at Christmas lights, or baking Christmas cookies, or trying to make wrapping presents a little more fun. What better way to do this than with a rockin’ holiday playlist?

Below, the definitive ranking of the best Christmas songs from all eras and genres. Try these songs and your holiday playlist will be a smash in no time!

15. “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber

Whether you love or you hate the Biebs, you have to give him props for this contemporary Christmas song. With simple guitar and an equally uncomplicated message, this song will definitely remind you of who you want to meet under the mistletoe this holiday season – or at least harken you back to the days when you wanted that person to be Justin.

14. “Santa Baby” by Eartha Kitt

The Christmas songs that weren’t really for the stocking-hanging set are sometimes the most fun. This song is a must on your holiday playlist in lieu of the creepy “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” (which might actually have a feminist message, but you can be the judge of that).

13. “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley

This probably resonated with you the first time you went through a break-up right before the holidays. Or perhaps you remember it from a heartbreaking scene in this holiday classic. Either way, this Elvis hit is a must for every holiday season – blue or otherwise.

12. “Oh Hannukkah” by Glee Cast

Okay, so it’s not a Christmas song, but it definitely deserves a mention. This song’s minor key and catchy beat might inspire you to learn about some new traditions this holiday season…or at least inspire you to learn more about the hora.

11. “Carol of the Bells” by Pentatonix

Pentatonix has so many Christmas bangers, including the more spiritual “Mary, Did You Know?”, but “Carol of the Bells” is such a classic. If you’re feeling extra nostalgic, listen to this clip of the version played in Home Alone.

10. “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” by Michael Bublé

Is it even December yet if you haven’t listened to this song? This is the perfect song for those early holiday season errands, whether you’re shopping for Christmas presents or trimming the tree. Though the Michael Buble version tops his Christmas album, I’m also fond of the Bing Cosby rendition of this classic.

9. “Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano

This Christmas hit was a favorite of my mom’s growing up, and now I can’t seem to make a Christmas playlist without adding this song. It’s. Just. So. Catchy.

8. “Last Christmas” by Wham!

If your last love left you more bitter than sweet, you might find yourself gravitating towards this #8 pick. Whether you ugly cried to the Taylor Swift version of this song or have recently discovered the Ariana Grande rendition, this hit is a favorite for a reason.

7. “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee

My roommate described this Christmas hit as the department store signal that the holiday season has finally arrived. Pick this classic bop the next time you are having a nice slice of pumpkin après caroling.

6. “Winter Wonderland” by Johnny Mathis

The perfect song for decorating Christmas cookies (or wrapping presents or decorating the tree or actually walking through a winter wonderland) with that special someone. Or, alternatively, you can blast this with your girls the next time you all are decorating Christmas cookies or wrapping presents or actually walking through a winter wonderland; you don’t have to be cuffed to feel the magic of this holiday bop. 

5. “Christmas Time is Here” by the Vince Guaraldi Trio (Charlie Brown Christmas Song)

If the first few notes don’t bring you right back to your childhood, I don’t know what will. Taken straight out of the iconic It’s Christmas, Charlie Brown, this song is sure to add a tranquil note to your holiday playlist that will take everyone back to grade two (in a good way).

4. “Sleigh Ride” by the Carpenters

This seems to be on every major Spotify holiday playlist, and for good reason. The upbeat melody brings back the quaint idea of a holiday buggy ride without forcing you to relive the experience of vehicles without motors or forced heat. Play this the next time you’re out with friends looking at Christmas lights.

3. “White Christtmas” by Bing Crosby

You might remember the Bing Cosby version of this song from the 1954 classic by the same name. Or perhaps you are fonder of the version by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings or this version by The Drifters and Clyde McPhatter. No matter the version, this song will leave you wishing for a Christmas dusted in fluffy white flakes. 

2. “Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobbie Helms

Obviously known for its role in this iconic Mean Girls scene, “Jingle Bell Rock” is an easily recognizable Christmas classic, well deserving of its #2 spot on this list.

1. “All I Want For Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey

I don’t even listen to Mimi outside of this song, but it is probably the best Christmas song of all time. I think I realized this in stunning clarity when I read this article on ManRepeller.com that cited this song as “the answer to world peace.” Honestly. This. Is. Such. A. Bop. If this isn’t topping your holiday party playlist, you’re doing the holidays wrong.

And there you have it collegiettes! Let these top fifteen songs become your holiday anthems this year, whether you be decorating the tree or baking a batch of festive treats. Happy listening!

Sources: 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1Title Image

With a double major in Political Science and Economics, Allyson hopes to become either a lawyer or a professor of political science after she finishes her degree at the U. Her hobbies include shopping for clothing she cannot afford and working out without breaking a sweat. She is an avid lover of podcasts, and always appreciates recommendations. 
Editor-in-Chief for the Utah chapter of Her Campus. I'm a political science major at the University of Utah, in my time I love to cook healthy and delicious meals, organize detailed parties, and pet every dog I see.