david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Creepy Clown Epidemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Your worst nightmare has just come true. Creepy clowns are popping up in neighborhoods, lurking in the woods, and watching your every move, just waiting for that perfect moment to terrorize the living daylights out of you. It is like we are living out our own real life horror movie. The creepy clowns have been sending the entire nation into a panic since August, and have began to make their way toward the west. 

The frenzy that is further intensifying people’s clown phobia started in Wisconsin and soon made its way to South Carolina, where the popularity began to rise. Originally parents just thought of it as children’s overactive imaginations. It wasn’t until they heard the disturbing laughs of the clowns themselves, that adults began to become worried. Most people figured that what seemed like a creepy hoax was just in time for the Halloween season or the remake of the “It” movie, where a clown terrorizes a group of young children, that is set to come out next year. But, even Stephan King and the White House have asked people to put an end to this. 

The reports of just seeing a clown on a trail then intensified to clowns luring children in the woods or being chased by some sort of weapon. Although no one was harmed, people were on high alert and advised to travel in twos at night. The most horrifying story then came from Pennsylvania, where a 16-year-old was fatally stabbed and left with a clown mask pushed onto his head. Officials were not certain who was responsible.

Officials are unsure what the motives are for the clowns, we just know that it is absolutely petrifying. “Obviously, this is a situation that local law enforcement authorities take quite seriously and they should carefully and thoroughly review, you know, perceived threats to the safety of the community and they should do so prudently,” White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said. You know it’s intense when the White House makes a statement. Dozens of arrests have been made due to this insane phenomenon, but it is still in full force as more and more people report sightings of these clowns. 

Social media has blown up with creepy clown videos that have been recorded across the country and they will make you jump as you watch them. Threats have even been made on social media about clowns potentially terrorizing local schools. Threats to schools and sightings on school campuses continue to come in, in states from Florida to Utah (yes, Utah). These threats have led to lockdowns on campuses across the nation. People are fortunately not taking this lightly. These clowns can potentially armed and can potentially hurt you. 

This is most likely a hoax that has just gone way too far. Keep an eye out people. Don’t travel and walk around alone, especially at night. This is very real and no longer a joke in the spirit of the Halloween season. Be aware of your surroundings, because the next creepy clown sighting could take place in your own neighborhood. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor