This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you were alive in the 90s or 2000s, then chances are you’ve heard of the show Sex and the City. The show revolves around four New York City ladies and their sexual escapades as single women in their 30s. Carrie Bradshaw, the lead of the show, has her own column titled, you guessed it, Sex and the City. When I was young, I remember constantly seeing Sex and the City on the TV, whether my mother was watching it or it was my own doing. Granted, it is not a show that children should necessarily be watching, but there I was admiring Carrie Bradshaw, her eclectic style, and her writing abilities. Fast forward to 2020, 22 years after the premiere of SATC in 1998, and Carrie Bradshaw is still making her mark in the world.

As a pop culture fanatic, I must say that I feel like there was not always a lot of representation of women in writing. In my eyes, when a woman said she was a writer, she was always asked why, or was told that she was too pretty to be a writer. Seeing this from a young age made me question things, and I’m not sure why I cared so much, but for some reason I felt it was a male-dominated field. Now I realize that is not true. Look at some of the most successful book-turned-film franchises ever made such as Harry Potter, which was written by J.K. Rowling, a woman. It is my personal belief that women in all fields sometimes struggle to find their voice when it feels as though they’re surrounded by a sea of men. But, once they do, they are unstoppable. Personally, I am now finding my voice along with ways to express myself to the world. What I have learned thus far in my journey of life is that writing may be the most ideal way for me to express myself. 

Carrie Bradshaw is a questionable character in most people’s eyes, however, I am not talking about her personal endeavors in the show. What always stood out to me about Carrie was her willingness to put herself out there and confidently share her writing with the world. I have always admired individuals who are able to express themselves so openly without caring what others have to say, and I am finally at that point in my life. I have always aimed to please others, and it took me a while to realize what I needed to do in order to make myself happy first. Carrie Bradshaw had her moments, but her writing journey never ceased to amaze me. She started off with a small column in a newspaper and eventually that column was turned into a book and she became a very successful author because of it. Now that I am in the realm of writing, I do not want to limit myself from any opportunities. I know that this is what I am meant to be doing, and seeing someone on-screen doing what I wanted to do from such a young age, even if they are a fictional character, was always so inspiring to me. Everyone says that nothing is impossible if you work hard for it, and that is what I plan on doing. I want to be a successful writer and share my writing with people to make a difference in the world. Fortunately, I now have an idea of how I can make my mark — and that is with writing, because I know that there is nothing else that I’d rather be doing in this moment. 

Delaney is a recent 2020 graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Strategic Communication. She feels very passionate about her writing and has enjoyed being apart of a woman empowered online magazine like Her Campus.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor