Bored of Everyday Books? Here’s Some Manga to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you’re unfamiliar with manga, it’s basically a Japanese comic book that is read right to left instead of the normal left to right. From amazing art styles to witty banter, manga is very enjoyable to read. Even better, there is something for everyone no matter what you like to read whether it is shonen (action) or shojo (romance). I myself am reading a lot of manga this year, and here are my top five of the year.

blue exorcist

Blue Clover follows rebellious Rin Okumura who finds a dark secret about this father. All of a sudden he finds himself in a prestigious school for soon-to-be exorcists. Rin has so much to learn when it comes to fighting demons, but his determination will get him to be the best exorcist out there…right? Full of action, fighting, and twists, this manga is for the shonen lovers. If you like action, you’ll love this one.

black butler

I’m a nerd when it comes to medieval Europe, so this one really caught my attention. This series was my dive into the world of manga and boy am I glad I started with this one. This story is about the mysterious and young Ciel Phantomhive who lives during the Victorian Era. Ciel is very secretive about everything in his life, especially his non-human-seeming butler, Sebastian. Ciel relies on his strong butler who seems to handle any job with grace and composure. This manga is darker in nature with themes of demons and death, but it is a very interesting read. I especially love the art in this manga, with the clothing and the character design like no other. Black Butler is a great starter manga as it is more toned down compared to the others that I have encountered.

Prince freya

Prince Freya is probably the most underrated manga out there. Though there are only five volumes out so far, this one has its own charms. Also taking place in medieval Europe, this story is about how a village girl, Freya, gets thrusted headfirst into the life of a prince. When the prince’s life was taken, Freya took his place since she looked just like him. Weak and frail Freya has to learn to hold her head high and rule the kingdom. I am excited to see where this manga goes, and I would say it is a great one to begin with as well.

haikyuu!

Haikyuu is a very popular anime about the Karasuno High volleyball team that is full of weird rookies and burnt out seniors. The main character Shoyo Hinata is lovable and real fun to follow in his journey of becoming the new “Small Giant.” Hinata was always told that he was too short to play volleyball, but his determination pushed him to prove everyone wrong. This manga is inspiring and full of hilarious interactions between the characters. The Haikyuu series is a long one, but it is worth it. The anime is also worth checking out — seeing the characters come to life is a feeling like no other.

Jujutsu kaisen

This has to be my favorite manga and anime ever. Be warned though, this one is not for the weak hearted. This shonen manga follows Yuuji Itadori who ate the cursed finger (yes, you read that right) of Ryomen Sukuna and adopted his power. Barely escaping execution, Yuuji is picked up by Gojo Satorou and put into Jujutsu High to become a jujutsu sorcerer. This manga is full of action and graphic scene, but what makes it my most favorite is the unique story and characters. Gojo is stupidly lovable, Yuuji is absolutely precious, and the list goes on. The Jujutsu Kaisen 0 movie was recently released in the U.S. and let me tell you, it was probably the best movie I have seen. If you want something full of action that is still enjoyable to read, this is the one.

Manga is probably my favorite genre of book. Many people have the notion that it is meant for children and that anything relating to anime is stupid. It is not. Manga is just different, and having been exposed to a variety of manga series, I can say with confidence that there is something for everyone. Manga is a breath of fresh air from your everyday chapter book. The ones listed are just the tip of the iceberg. Be careful though, once you get into manga, it’s hard to go back — I would know.

Anoushka is majoring in Information Systems and Political Science. She loves reading books, playing video games, listening to music, and watching anime.