This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Podcast listening has skyrocketed over the last few years, as well as the amount of podcast channels. Nowadays, you can find a podcast on any topic from food to travel, fashion, business, finance, and everything in between. Luckily for film lovers, such as myself, there are plenty of film podcasts ranging from reviewing films and talking about the industry to going behind the scenes of making films. Here are four podcasts for film lovers:

1. Filmspotting

Filmspotting is the flagship podcast for film lovers. The podcast perfectly blends passion and critical evaluation to create an engaging and thought-provoking show. The podcast is currently hosted by Adam Kempenaar and Josh Larsen. Filmspotting was co-founded by Kempenaar in 2005 and has become a staple for everyone involved in the film industry, including directors, producers, writers, and critics. Each show varies in content; one episode could be a new film review, 20-year film anniversary, or a top five segment. My favorite episode of Filmspotting is “#737: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood / Top 10 Tarantino Characters”. I love Tarantino’s films, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was my favorite film release of the summer.

2. The No Film School Podcast

The No Film School Podcast is an essential podcast for aspiring filmmakers, video producers, and independent creatives. The premise of the podcast is to be a community for creatives to learn from each other — no film school required. The NFS Podcast reviews new movies, discusses current news in the film industry, provides camera tips, and gives advice on getting films accepted in festivals. This podcast is a must for keeping up-to-date with industry news.

3. How Did This Get Made?

How Did This Get Made? is a comedic podcast hosted by Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, and Jason Mantzoukas. Each episode features new guest stars, mocks bad films, and wonders how they were allowed to be made. They mock and deconstruct each aspect of the films including CGI, acting, story, and visual effects. It’s a wildly entertaining podcast guaranteed to have you laughing throughout.

4. The A24 Podcast

Entertainment production and distribution company A24 created The A24 Podcast in 2018. The podcast has no host, rules, or ads, and is essentially a discussion between directors. Each episode features two A24 directors discussing anything they want. This podcast isn’t just geared to A24 fans — anyone who loves movies can enjoy the diverse and complex discussions. Personally, I am a huge fan of the films A24 produces, so I love to listen to the directors behind those films talk about what they are interested in. The podcast has a personal feel to it that I like. My favorite A24 podcast is “High Anxiety with Jerrod Carmichael & Bo Burnham”. The conversation between these two is natural, light-hearted, and very funny.

The great thing about film podcasts are that you can get an in-depth look at what goes into filming, how certain scenes were shot, and what the filmmakers thought about the project. These four podcasts bring a unique perspective to every topic they discuss. No two podcasts are the same; even if they review the same movie, they end up being entirely different shows. Listening to film podcasts is the best way to learn more about your favorite films.

Image credit: 1234

-Junior at the University of Utah -Communications major with an emphasis in Journalism and minor in Political Science
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor