Back in Time with Big Band Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The stage is alight with sepia toned colors, illuminating the band on the stage. Brass instruments shine and the grand piano keys glisten towards the audience. I turn toward the person next to me, my grandma, and find her eyes glazed over as she’s taken to another time. My own eyes are glazed as well, drowned in sepia, though I’m taken to a time I’ve never known, and can only imagine. This is Big Band Night and the Gallivan Center.

Starting in June and going all the way through September, the Gallivan Center located in downtown Salt Lake City, puts on a free Big Band Dance Night every Tuesday. While the concert technically starts at 7:30, the free swing dancing lesson starts at 7:00 p.m. on the outside dance floor in front of the stage.

​This is an event for all ages, but the majority of its attenders range in ages 65 and up. This crowd is attracted for one main thing: The music. Every week a different Big Band takes the stage and plays songs from the 1930’s-1940’s. You can expect everything from Glenn Miller to Benny Goodman, and there is even the occasional night celebrating Frank Sinatra.​

The experiences had at this event are so novelty and unique. As I sat alongside my Grandma the first time I convinced her to come, I got to listen to endless stories of the dance nights she and my grandpa would have on the weekends at the Great Saltair, listening to this very music. I kid you not, she knew every song, and could tell me every dance that went with it. Neither of us can dance, so we sat in one of the provided rows of seating and listened to the music, watching as couples took the floor. Listening to the music live, watching the dances she used to know come back to life in front of us, I got to watch her fall in love with it all over again.

Often times practiced swing dancers will dress to the age, showing off their moves on the dance floor in flowing dresses and button up shirts. The band members are dressed in suits and tuxedos, their hair slicked back and their instruments blaring. You feel as if you have been transported back in time, to an age where the youth actually knew how to dance, as opposed to jumping up and down and grinding.

Not only does Big Band Night present the opportunity to experience timeless music and fun dancing, but it provides unique food options as well. If you come at the beginning of the concert you will make it in time to walk through the Gallivan Center’s farmers market. You can walk through the booths of local vendors, sampling organic produce and meeting amazing people. My sister and I always buy a peach and some raspberries, never failing to be delicious.

If you find yourself hungry for a meal then you can hit up one of the many food trucks parked directly behind the show.  Those over 21 can enjoy a beer from the beer cart, and those younger can take advantage of the free ice cream provided by Century Link. Although I expect all of us over 21 will take advantage of the free ice cream as well.

Whether it’s date night with your significant other or a family evening on the town, Big Band Night is something you don’t want to miss. Plus, haven’t we all wondered what it would be like to live in the 1940’s?

Shaela Adams: is really just in love with the Earth. And peanut butter. And naps.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor