jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Apology Letter From the “Basic White Girl”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Dear boy who decided he no longer wanted to be my friend because I had turned into a “basic white girl,”

I’m writing this letter in hopes you may learn your lesson and never put anyone else down because of stereotypes again.

Okay, so you might have seen me loudly singing to “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus, a pretty basic white girl thing to do I guess. But what you probably didn’t know is that was a song I was practicing for my grandpa while he was fighting ALS. I wanted to be able to make him smile and give him hope while his body was slowly deteriorating, no longer allowing him to participate in the things he loved. He always encouraged me to continue singing and I wanted to share my talent with him and make him happy. I sing that song to remind me of him and his confidence in me.

When I was doodling little sayings in class on my notebook you might have thought what a “basic” thing to do, but you probably don’t know it’s one of the only things that allows me to stay focused in class to avoid my terrible anxiety.

Maybe you labeled me as a basic white girl as I was picking up my pumpkin spice latte, but you probably don’t understand the story behind that either. The pumpkin spice flavor reminds me of my very first love. One of our first dates we both spontaneously decided to discover the rage over this holy of all holy steamers as we had never experienced it. Every time I get a taste of this beverage I am reminded of innocence and how easy it was to fall in love with him. He now lives halfway across the world and probably doesn’t even blink as he reaches for the latte that I have engrained in my memory with him.

You could have thought I was the ultimate basic white girl as I put snap chat after snap chat of little puppies on my story. I unfortunately have no excuse for this. Everybody needs more videos of puppies in their lives.

Maybe you thought I was a basic white girl when you saw my fake nails. But I’m here to tell you: I shouldn’t have to apologize for doing something that makes me feel glamorous. Getting my nails done reminds me of how proud I am to be a woman.

Bottom line is, you’re kidding yourself if you don’t enjoy bath bombs, Avril Lavigne, frozen yogurt, and the occasional episode of The Vampire Diaries.

So let me get this straight, you’re going to refuse to be someones friend because of a stereotype you think you have figured out? Seems like a pretty basic white boy thing to do.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor