This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Having a second family is one of the best parts about being in a sorority.  There is no better day than Big-Little reveal and no better/nerve wracking feeling then when you finally get a Little. There are the lucky few of us who happen to get a spring Little and though it is equally as exciting as getting your new daughter in the fall, sometimes one can feel lost at this daunting task without a large majority of your sisters to help you learn the ropes together.  Here are some pieces of advice to ease the process:

Keep your lips shut.

This advice is for before the reveal but because there is so much less of them than during the fall, it’s even easier for word to get out about who has whom as a Big.  This can ruin the fun so in order to keep the thrill of the surprise- bite your tongue!

Help them feel included.

Being a spring new member can be challenging because you are coming in at the half of the year and there are so few of you in comparison of to the rest of the chapter that it can be hard to feel like you fit in.  It is the Big’s responsibility to introduce them to everyone, make them feel a part of the group, and ensure them that they are a valuable part of the chapter.

Spend extra time on their crafts.

It sucks to admit, but the new Littles will compare their crafts and when there are only 10 pairs of everything its very easy for them to feel like their big must not care as much about them because their craft isn’t as pretty as so and so’s. Even if you aren’t the queen of crafting, try your best so you have your best foot forward. 

Select a God-Big carefully. 

No matter how good of a big you are, a God-Big can always be helpful in emergency situations when you aren’t available and don’t have prior experience in the problem she is experiencing. 

While these are all very important to being a good big, overall the most important thing is to love and support them no matter what. Joining a sorority can be a lot to take in and a big is there to guide you through the process.  Help her find a formal date, study for tests and eventually, when it is her time, take al little of her own. 

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor