The 9 Leonardo DiCaprio Movies You Need to Watch RIGHT NOW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you know me, then you definitely know that I am a touch obsessed with Leonardo DiCaprio; and by a touch obsessed I mean I actually named my cat Leo Di(cat)prio after the Hollywood stud. But you don’t have to be a die-hard Leonardo DiCaprio fan like me to appreciate this list. And, if you are, then I hope you find at least one or two movies that you haven’t seen yet. So for all of you new or old Leo fans, all of these movies on this list are an absolute must see.

1. Romeo & Juliet: For anyone who has not seen this version of Romeo and Juliet, I highly suggest you drop everything and go rent it this second.  Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes do a fantastic job portraying the star-crossed lovers in a way that doesn’t have you looking over your shoulder for your high school English teacher. Baz Luhrman does an amazing job keeping everything modern while having the entire cast reciting Shakespeare’s actual dialogue.
  2. Titanic: I know this one is a no-brainer and I am sure that everyone has seen at least part of this movie, given its 3 hours and 14 minute run time. It has everything from a romantic story line to action packed scenes. Though nearly everyone has seen it and it is pretty long, I still firmly believe that this classic should not be skipped. 
  3. The Man in the Iron Mask: This movie is a little more obscure than the last one, so if you have seen it, I definitely tip my hat to you for your good taste in film. Don’t worry though, for those of you who haven’t seen it you can still redeem yourselves by renting it tonight. If you love anything French or have a desire to see young Leonardo with amazing hair extensions, then this is the movie for you.
  4. Catch Me if You Can: Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio team up for a thrilling game of cat and mouse in Catch Me if You Can. Leonardo plays Frank Abagnale Jr., a young man trying to run away from his old life using check fraud and identity theft, while also keeping the FBI off his back. Nail-biting chase scenes and a menagerie of sexy Leo identities. What more could you ask for?
  5. The Aviator: This movie chronicles the real life story of billionaire entrepreneur, Howard Hughes. The movie covers everything from Howard Hughes’ love affair with Katharine Hepburn and other Hollywood starlets, to his descent into reclusive behavior stemming from chronic OCD and worsening pain from a near fatal plane crash. Only Leo could stay that desirable while portraying Howard’s spiral into madness.
  6. Blood Diamond: Opposite Jennifer Connelly, Leonardo DiCaprio plays a hunky South African smuggler with a taste for riches. He helps reunite a man that has been separated from his family because of raging civil war but he may be more interested in being reunited with a huge diamond. A sexy accent and action packed shootouts you will definitely have you swooning.
  7. Shutter Island: With Halloween quickly approaching, this is the perfect movie to get into the spooky spirit. Leonardo DiCaprio plays a U.S Marshall investigating the disappearance of a murderess from a hospital for the mentally ill. With unexpected turns and a surprise ending, you better believe this Leo thriller will have you on the edge of your seat.  
  8. The Great Gatsby: If you love seeing Leo playing the ever-elusive romantic lead then do not miss him as the stylish and mysterious Jay Gatsby as he tries to win the heart of the beautiful Daisy Buchanan. This movie is perfect for every Leo girl. We can’t all go to a Gatsby party, but we can fantasize, right?
  9. The Revenant: Now I know The Revenant might not be the first movie you think of when you think girls movie night, but trust me, you will not regret adding this movie to your list. Between his heartwarming perseverance and the heroic fight with a giant grizzly, it will become quite clear why this Hollywood heartthrob won his first Oscar for this movie.

If you take anything away from this article, I hope that you leave with a new appreciation for the range Leonardo DiCaprio has as an actor. He doesn’t just play the same role over and over again.  But if you already knew that, which I hope you did, then at the very least I hope you come away with some killer movies to watch with your girlfriends, boyfriend, or your dog (we won’t judge). 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor