9 Animals You Didn’t Know Were Endangered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There are many endangered animals I’m sure you’ve heard of. Asian elephants, black rhinos, Bengal tigers, etc. However, the endangered species list is lengthy and includes many animals that you may not be aware are in trouble. With more awareness, comes better chances of conservation, so here are nine animals you didn’t know were endangered:

Orangutans – Critically Endangered

Orangutans live in lowland forests in parts of Asia. Bornean and Sumatran orangutans have slight behavioral and physical differences such as facial hair and sociality. Recently a third species was discovered: the Tapanuli orangutan.

While Bornean and Sumatran orangutans are both critically endangered, the Tapanuli species is the most endangered great ape in the world. The biggest threats to orangutans are hunting, trading and deforestation. Females are easy hunting targets and their babies are often sent into the pet trade where 3-5 die for each one that reaches Taiwan, where trading is most rampant.

Saola – Critically Endangered

Referred to fondly as the “Asian unicorn”, the Saola is a small deer-like mammal that is actually a cousin of cattle. They were discovered only 25 years ago in 1992 so we still don’t know much about them. So far, they have only been found in forests in Vietnam and Laos.

Like most of the animals on this list, Saolas are threatened by hunting and deforestation. Continued destruction of their forest homes allows hunters easier access to their prey and there has been an increase in hunting for the purpose of supplying illegal trade circles. The total population is unknown but estimates hit a high of a few hundred and a low of less than 20.

Gorillas – Critically Endangered

While you probably knew gorillas were endangered, did you know that four different kinds of gorillas are at critical endangerment levels?

Cross River Gorilla

This particular subspecies is the least well known due to the rugged terrains they inhabit. They stand 4.5-5 feet tall and weigh up to 440 pounds.

With only about 250 individuals left in the wilds of Nigeria and Cameroon, Cross River gorillas have been nearly hunted to extinction

Eastern Lowland Gorilla

Eastern Lowland’s can be distinguished from the other subspecies by their stockier build. They reside in the rainforests of the Congo Basin and eat fruit and other plants.

War and other civil unrest have been huge threats to these apes for years. Researchers have estimated a population decline of 50% since the 1990s. The regional violence has made it difficult to accurately count and track Eastern Lowland gorillas and it has forced them into smaller and smaller areas.

Mountain Gorilla

Natives to the high mountains of the Congo Basin, mountain gorillas have much thicker fur than the other subspecies in order to withstand below freezing temperatures. However, as humans encroach on their territory, these gorillas are being forced farther up mountains into dangerous conditions.

It was once thought that mountain gorillas would be extinct by the 20th century due to poaching, habitat loss, and human diseases they catch from people moving in on their homes. While the subspecies is still holding on, there are only 880 individuals estimated to be left.

River Dolphins – Endangered

Ganges

Inhabiting the freshwater rivers of Bangladesh, Nepal, and India, the Ganges river dolphin is nearly blind, so they get around and hunt using sonar. They are generally 7-9 feet in length and can weigh almost 400 pounds. It was given the honor of National Aquatic Animal of India in 2009.

Irrigation projects like dams isolate groups of these mammals, oftentimes exposing them to poachers, who hunt them for medicinal purposes. Pollution is rapidly destroying their habitat and can infect their bodies with chemicals and toxins. And, like many water-dwelling animals, these river dolphins are often victims of fishing nets.

Indus

Similarly to their Ganges relatives, Indus river dolphins are blind and use echolocation to survive. It is estimated that only 1100 remain in the lower Pakistan Indus River. They are slightly smaller than the Ganges topping the scale at about 250 pounds and reaching a little over eight feet in length.

Barrages, dams, and other irrigation-related constructions have fragmented their habitats, sometimes forcing them into canals where they die before they could be rescued. Pollution, bycatch, and hunting are also prevalent threats to the Indus river dolphin.

Red Panda – Endangered

While the larger black and white pandas have been moved to the vulnerable section of the endangered species list, the red panda still remains endangered. Residing in the Eastern Himalayas, red pandas use their big tails to balance them as they bound in the treetops.

As they live most of their lives in trees, deforestation is a huge threat to red pandas. They are also killed when caught in traps meant for other animals and poached for their furs.

Black-footed Ferret – Endangered

Native to North American grasslands, black-footed ferrets are the only ferret species that is native to the US. They rely on prairie dog colonies for food and shelter.

Loss of habitat and disease almost completely eradicated these small mammals but conservation efforts are working to give the species another chance. They estimate only 370 to be left in the wild.

Dugong – Vulnerable

Not to be confused with its freshwater cousin, the manatee, the dugong is a sea water-dwelling mammal native to the Indian and western Pacific Oceans. They can grow up to almost ten feet long and weigh over 800 pounds.

They are vulnerable to endangerment largely because of habitat destruction. The shallow marine waters in which they graze are degrading due to industrial development and pollution. They also fall victim to fishing nets, like so many other sea creatures.

Great White Shark – Vulnerable

For a sea predator with 300 teeth, it’s surprising to see Great White Sharks on this list. These sharks are 16-20 feet long and weigh anywhere from 4000-7000 pounds.

Great White’s are threatened due to hunting for sport and for their teeth and fins. Like the dugong, they are also victims of bycatch (“the accidental entanglement in fishing nets” -WWF).

Polar Bear – Vulnerable

Aside from starring as the mascot for Coca-Cola, polar bears spend the majority of their time on ice in the Arctic Ocean, thus classifying them as a marine mammal. They tend to be six-nine feet long and weigh anywhere from 800-1300 pounds. They are extremely quick swimmers and hunt primarily Arctic seals.

Polar bears have been listed as vulnerable since 2008 due to climate change destroying their icy sea habitat. There are 19 subpopulations of polar bears in the Arctic, three of which are estimated for extreme population decline in the near future.

As sad as this list may be, organizations like the World Wildlife Fund are doing amazing work to protect what is left of these species. There are many ways you can help, from symbolically adopting an endangered species to speaking up for change through their Action Center.

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

All facts and statistics came from the WWF website.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor