This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Being away from home can cause some serious homesickness! Whether its your family, significant other, your dog, or even your bed, it’s okay to admit how hard it is adjusting into a new lifestyle. To help those tears and heartache, I’ve developed a list to cure (or at least help) your homesickness. Know you’re not alone, and It can’t hurt to try. We’ve all been through it!

1. Stay BUSY

The more out and about you are, the less you’ll have time to think about home, and the sooner you’ll adjust. Take advantage of every opportunity you can, and do as much as possible. You’ll meet new people, people that could turn out to be your best friend. Or you could find a new hobby, that just might be your next favorite hobby. Long, hectic days to start will make it easier for you to fall asleep at night, versus being caught up in your thoughts.

2. Exercise

Hit the gym! Not only will it benefit your physical health, but it will calm you down, and tire you out. Exercising releases serotonin in your brain, otherwise known as “happy chemicals”. Exercising in the morning can put you in a good mood for the rest of the day!

3. Bring a little piece of home with you

Carry something around wherever you go that is a little piece of home, or reminds you of someone special. In every moment you’re feeling upset, you’ll have a little token of the familiar, that will bring you much comfort. Some ideas could be a picture in your wallet, or a piece of jewelry a family member or significant other gave to you, or even a hoodie with that special someone’s perfume or cologne. 

4. Get some SUN

Vitamin D can significantly improve moods, and happiness levels. Take a walk outside on a sunny day, or take the day off and relax by the pool. If you live somewhere cold, with not much sun, hit the tanning bed once or twice (you won’t die if you only do it a few times, I promise). Also, almost all pharmacies have vitamin d pills you can take as well! 

5. Create a Routine

While settling in is important, it’s also important to create a routine that gives yourself a purpose. If you follow a regimen, it can generate a sense of comfort, and it almost forces you stay active. If it becomes regular to you, it will also become a sense of home to you.

6. Don’t Overwhelm Yourself with People from Home

While staying in touch, and maintaining the relationships you have back is home is okay, it can have a negative effect if you over-do it. If you base your time around when you can talk to them, or if you only talk to them it will not give you the opportunity to experience your new life! Try to have balance between communicating to them, and doing things for you and your new circumstances. 

7. TREAT YOURSELF

Remind yourself that you are an amazing individual, and splurge! If you’re feeling down, buy that shirt you’ve been staring at in the shops, or if you see a really cool activity going on in your area, just DO IT, and forget about the price this one time. Create the happiness you can by treating yourself to something nice, you deserve it! 

8. Eat Good Food

It’s okay to buy that bag of chips, or go to the ice cream shop and get an extra scoop. It’s  not going to kill you to eat your feelings for the first week, while you’re trying to adjust and missing everyone back home. Your body, and mentality will thank you. 

Everyone has gone through what you’re going through, and it’s okay to admit it. Push through it, and remind yourself how strong and independent you are. There are always new adventures around the corner!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor