7 Ways to Embrace Sochi 2014 Olympic Figure Skating Fashion Into Your Everyday Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With the Winter Olympic season upon us, many people start to feel inspired to work harder towards greatness! While we can’t all be Olympic athletes, we can surely succeed in having 1st place style. The figure skating event brings out the most unique styles of the Olympics as each team represents their country with complicated moves and dazzling attire. Show off your support for Sochi 2014 by taking these 7 style cues from the best performers around the world!

1. Cinderella-esque: Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov (Russia)

Now every girl can channel her inner Disney princess with the inspiration coming from gold medalist Tatiana Volosozhar. To make sure you don’t look like you’re playing dress up, keep the exaggerated puffiness to a minimum and opt for a dress with off the shoulder draped sleeves for a soft, romantic look. Add a ribbon choker for a distinct Cinderella look. To finish the outfit add a sparkly headband and small earrings for extra glamour!

2. Color Blocking: Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov (Russia)

Update your wardrobe with the sophisticated style of color blocking. To balance the outfit out go for bold shades such as red or blue and pair it with simple earth tones like black, white or tan. Keep your hair and accessories simple for an effortless look.

3. Bold Colors: Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

Ditch the winter grays and brighten up your closet with bold pops of color. Maxi dresses are the easiest way to incorporate one strong color into your outfit. Be brave and go for bubble gum pinks or try cobalt blue for more of an edge.

4. Tie-Dye: Pang Qing and Tang Jian (China)

Who says fashion can’t be fun? Bring back your favorite childhood print by adding tie-dye in small doses. Start with a color palette from the same family such as reds and oranges and add a coordinating tie-dye scarf for a fun flare to your wardrobe.

5. Little Black Dress: Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch (Canada)

The one staple that never fails a girl is the classic little black dress. Check out Kirsten Moore-Towers’ dress on how to spice up your LBD with a plunging neckline. The 1970’s style is all the rage now and a risqué neckline will be better balanced by the crispness of black.

6. Simple & Casual: Vera Bazarova and Yuri Larionov (Russia)

Keep it simple. By adding too many colors and textures into your outfit can cause too much confusion and look more messy than carefully crafted. Pick a focal point, be it the color or the print, and let that speak for itself. You want your clothes to flatter your personality and not overwhelm you.

7. Pastels: Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford (Canada)

For an effortless ethereal vibe, soften up your color palette and choose pastels. Light pinks, blues, and purples in sheer fabrics create a ladylike look that is fresh for spring!

Kayla Van Hoose