This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

College is full of paradoxes. Pass your classes, but also have a healthy social life. Focus on getting good grades, but also have impressive internships and leadership positions. Find a good job without any experience to even apply for that job. The college paradox that affects me the most, though, is that you should travel while you’re in college and somehow pay for this travel alongside paying for your own tuition, rent, and groceries. 

But I have found a way to escape both my meager finances and Salt Lake City. Though some may doubt, Utah has a lot of travel opportunities that aren’t just the Big 5. If you do a bit of research, you can find some true Utah gems very easily and cheaply. With a little planning and a lot of flexibility, traveling within Utah can satisfy your wanderlust and avoid overdrafting your checking account. Truly, you can visit any Utah location with only $500. Below are 7 tips for how you can achieve this. 

Travel in large groups

Since you won’t be flying, gas and lodging will add up quickly if you travel solo or with a singular friend. I suggest a group of four to six to help lower your costs but also maintain a cohesive trip as the group will be small enough that you wouldn’t necessarily want to split up and can all fit in one car. I would also suggest driving a van or truck as a sedan can be uncomfortable to squeeze a group of adults in and may not ride some Utah country roads as well. 

Find cheap lodging

Average hotel rooms and Airbnbs in Utah range from $70-$200/per night. I find that the lodging quality and budget sweet spot for college kids is somewhere from $90-$120/per night. This way, if you had a group of four, you all will end up paying no more than $90 for lodging during a 3 night travel stay. Consider visiting popular places like the Big 5 during the off-season so your lodging prices can remain low while your room quality will increase. 

Budget beforehand what you will pay on food/souvenirs/entertainment

Besides lodging and gas, the most expensive part of travel is food. To avoid overspending, I recommend setting aside an envelope of cash beforehand that dictates what you are willing to spend on food. Normally, about $30-$40 a day is enough for food unless you want to eat somewhere very expensive one day. In that case, I would plan on eating at an expensive restaurant before the trip begins to avoid going over budget on food. The same cash envelope rule applies to your souvenir and entertainment budgets. 

Travel for short periods

This is a no-brainer, but trips that don’t exceed three nights are much cheaper than those that do. Though I’m sure most people would prefer a longer stay somewhere, a shorter trip encourages spontaneity and excitement that a longer trip can sometimes lack as there’s always tomorrow. Since you’re also staying within Utah, you don’t have to worry about using one of your three days for only travel as your driving time will not ever surpass six hours. 

Visit less-visited places and travel to popular destinations during the off-season

Though the Big 5, ski resorts, and Salt Lake City are the obvious Utah destinations, they are also the most pricey since prices increase with tourism. Do your research and find Utah gems that TripAdvisor doesn’t know about. You’ll find that visiting lesser known places gives you a more unique and personal travel experience. But if you really want to see the Big 5 (which you should because they are AWESOME), consider going in the fall and early spring. Since they are all located in Southern Utah, they typically will only be cool but not cold.

Always plan on doing something outdoors

Utah has beautiful landscapes everywhere, both rocky and green. Wherever you choose to travel to in Utah, you’ll likely be close to a canyon, mountain, or some beautiful sandstone formation that’s worth exploring. With all the natural beauty around, you should definitely build one or two hikes to local landmarks, parks, or trails. What’s the best part about adding nature into your trip? Nature will not subtract from your travel budget. 

Plan your trip via mommy and travel blogs, not travel websites

Here’s the thing- travel websites like TripAdvisor, Yelp, and even AirBnB will put more expensive activities, restaurants, and lodging that attract more older and wealthier tourists. That isn’t necessarily a vice of these companies- they are just marketing to their target population. Problem is, you probably won’t be able to afford the river rafting excursion or the $100 steakhouse recommended on these sites. The websites also tend to lack local businesses or favorites that you would otherwise enjoy. You can definitely still plan an affordable trip through these sites, but you will have a more complete trip with additional resources. To be honest, I have found the best local restaurants, shopping, and experiences from mommy blogs. Say what you will, but these moms really know how to find things to do and then write about it. If mommy blogs aren’t your style, I suggest following a solo travel blogger for your Utah trip ideas. 

Here’s my last word of advice: decide on one thing you really want out of a trip and stick to it. Design your trip around what you want to do, not what place you happened to choose.  If you want to do a slot canyon, go to Kanab. If you really want to see dinosaur bones, go to Vernal. If you want great shopping, try Park City or St. George. Want to see historic downtowns? Try Logan or even Provo. Look up ideas about unique landmarks/parks in Utah and set your trip around seeing that. Once you look forward to seeing or experiencing one event, you’ll be even more excited about the rest of the trip. 

Though Fall Break has already left us, there is still a Thanksgiving and Winter break in upcoming future. Pick a place, set aside 3 days, and take your own Utah adventure soon!

Sources: 1

Taylor like Swift, Packer like Greenbay
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor