photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

6 Tips to Survive This Year’s Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With the holiday season coming up, you know what that means; the oh-so famous “Friendsgiving.” This is a great chance to separate the family aspect of the holiday, and give thanks to the homies. This should be a fun event so no need for unnecessary stress, so depending on whether or not you are a host or attendee, here are some tips to create some ease on this special holiday:

1. Do not let your host cook the entire dinner!

It does not matter if your party is 5 people or 50. There are a lot of aspects to cooking a decent thanksgiving meal that can get overwhelming, so consider co-hosting the event, or creating a shared document that your friends can sign up for dishes ,and other keen elements to a tasty Friendsgiving dinner. A good rule of thumb: let the host roast the turkey and have the guests potluck everything else.

2. There can never be too many desserts or beverages.

Even if it is something as simple as a pumpkin pie, or as elaborate as a Peppermint Mocha White Russian, do not be afraid to go all out, for this holiday occasion only comes once a year. For the regular bakers, it may not be challenging to take risks with a dish, but it is also perfectly fine to pick up a premade meal or dessert at your local grocery store, or a cheap wine bottle . Contribution is key people!

3. If plausible, consider taking the time to set a nice table.

As a college student myself, I completely relate to the “funds are low” statement. However, it is important to take into consider that you and your party is taking the time to prepare for this gathering. Use the silverware, put down a tablecloth, light a candle, buy or create a DIY centerpiece. Or if anything, reward yourself, and splurge for those plastic champagne glasses! Assuming the larger guest size, there’s also plenty of room for serving bowls and platters.

4. Utilize the leftovers.

This one is pretty self-explanatory. (especially for those college students out there). Bring a Tupperware, and you will have lunch and dinner for days.

5. Someone bring the playlist.

Nothing makes a gathering quite like the tunes happening in the background. Because this is a friendship-based event, there is no harm in adding some throw- back tunes, or some up-beats. Grab your friend with the best music “taste” and create playlist that you can go back to time-and-time again.

6. This holiday is not just about the food (but that is highly important).

Although the food is the main reason why we are all coming to this, let us not forget about the social aspect. There is no shame in coming up with some pre and post dinner activities. Go outside for a flag football game, play some card games (that are also drinking-friendly). Or get ready for the month of December and pop in your favorite classic holiday film.

All of us at Her Campus Utah wish you the best of luck in your Friendsgiving Festivities. And remember,  when all else fails–pie will fix any Friendsgiving disaster. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor