Style > Beauty

5 Skin Care Products You Need to Have in Your Arsenal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Skincare is enjoying more coverage across the media than ever before and it’s about time! Finally, people are realizing that taking care of your skin is more important than covering it up, and it has many more long-term benefits. As a student, skincare can be an intimidating arena to step into. There is no shortage of options, all at different price points. You might be thinking that skincare is too expensive for your budget. After all, you have to buy the more expensive products to see any differences, right? NO! Believe it or not, the price of the product doesn’t determine its ability to work. Repeat after me: skincare does not have to break the bank. You can afford to buy skincare products; you just have to know which ones to pick. 

Here, I’ll introduce you to 5 of your new best friends. 

Cosrx Acne Pimple Patches-$5.00 

When I say that these are lifesavers, I mean it. I don’t think I have ever been more impressed by a product’s ability to shrink pimples overnight. These patches may be small, but they are mighty and easy to use. After washing your face, all you have to do is stick a patch on each pimple you want to shrink and leave it overnight. It’s important to note that applying products to your skin before you put on the patch could prevent it from sticking well enough to your skin. Besides, once you see the patch in the morning you won’t care that you didn’t use products. These patches work almost immediately on most pimples, but they will take a bit longer to shrink those larger, under-the-skin zits. In these cases, it might help to wait until it comes to a head before using a patch. You can find these pimple patches in various retailers including Urban Outfitters, Ulta, and online at SokoGlam (a Korean skincare website).  

Provence Beauty Rejuvenating Facial Oil- $9.99 

I can’t say that I expected much from this facial oil. In the past, I tended to stay away from putting oils on my face because of my acne-prone skin. After reading article after article praising facial oils, I decided to give them a try and wouldn’t you know it; I got hooked on the first one I tried. I found the Provence Beauty Rejuvenating facial oil at World Market, which surprised me. I love World Market (or as I like to refer to it: home), but I wouldn’t have expected to find quality skincare products there. It doesn’t cause breakouts or clog my pores, which is important in any skincare product. This oil has become my go-to hydration kick, especially in drier climates. 

Glossier Super Glow Serum-$28 

Over the past few years, I’ve come to understand the importance of serums in my daily routine. This particular serum has made such a difference in my skin’s color and texture. Because it’s a Glossier product, I was a bit hesitant to buy it, even though I’d heard only good things about Vitamin C serums. I didn’t want to be disappointed if it didn’t work, especially because it’s one of the more expensive skincare products I’ve bought. That said, I couldn’t have been more surprised at how well it worked. I started using it the summer after I graduated from high school and during the first semester of my freshman year in college I realized that many of my acne scars were gone. Looking back at months-old pictures, I could see my cheeks and forehead plagued by dark marks, but most of them were faded considerably or gone when I looked in the mirror. This serum was entirely worth the $28 price tag. 

Glossier Super Bounce Serum-$28 

I know. Another $28 serum on a list of skincare products for college students. But I promise you this serum will last for at least 3 months! And what’s $28 when you’re suffering from dry, burning skin? It’s a necessary sacrifice. Just like the brand’s Super Glow serum, this serum is a godsend. Instead of targeting hyperpigmentation, Super Bounce is made to soothe dry skin. Its main active ingredient is Hyaluronic acid, which is celebrated in the skincare community for its hydrating properties. The nice thing about the Glossier serums is that you can use them both at the same time. If you have both dry skin and hyperpigmentation/acne scars, you are encouraged to layer them both on. The Glossier website advises putting on Super Bounce followed by Super Glow. If you’re going to splurge on one product in your skincare routine, please let it be either (or both!) of the Glossier serums I’ve mentioned. 

E.L.F Acne Fighting Spot Gel-$3 

This is the only E.L.F skincare product I’ve used, so before this, I had no idea what to expect. Part of me has this internalized bias towards the brand because it used to be the “cheap” makeup brand. But after using this product, I can no longer perpetuate that bias. I am a changed woman. I’ve never had great luck with spot treatments, so I can’t say I was eager about this one and boy was I wrong. I don’t know what makes this spot treatment better than the rest. By all accounts, it shouldn’t be. It has a rollerball applicator for god’s sakes! That thing can transfer any amount of bacteria to your skin, but somehow it works oppositely. I notice that using this product treats my spots without totally drying out my skin, which is an important factor. When your skin is dry it will try to overcompensate in oil production, a process that just clogs your pores and doesn’t solve any problems. It’s important that your acne treatment isn’t doing this to your skin.  

If you take anything away from this, let it be the sentiment that quality skincare can be affordable for you. You just have to be willing to search for and try various products to find what works for you.  

Photo Source: 12345    

Junior studying Journalism and International Studies
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor