5 Reasons Why You Should Vote in the General Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Unless you have been in a coma for the past 16 months or so, you’re familiar with how absurd this election season has been. Between Hillary Clinton’s email scandal, and Donald Trump’s demeaning comments about women, it seems the question on everyone’s minds is: how did America come to this? It may seem that the solution to this predicament of who to vote for is to stay home on election day, and let the political bloodbath play out, right? Wrong. There are so many reasons why it is crucial for you to visit the election booth on November 8th, and here are five:

1. This Election Makes History.

The tone of the debates, the scandals, the SNL spinoffs, and the endless 3 AM Twitter rants…needless to say, this election makes history on several levels. Regardless of what party you identify with, it is groundbreaking to have the first female presidential nominee. On top of that, we have a billionaire business mogul who is going head to head with her. Basically, this election is anything but traditional, and, as radio hosts and political theorists repeatedly point out, this election will be one that is talked about in history classrooms, homes, and in the political scene for years to come. And when your children or grandchildren ask you about the infamous 2016 election, you’ll want to tell them that you were there, and that you voted!

2. Oppressed Americans Fought for This Right.

From the suffragist movement of the late 19th century, to the civil rights movement of the 1960’s, Americans have been fighting for their right to vote, and to be treated as the equals they have always been; they struggled through sit-ins, protests, and other methods in order to have their voices be heard socially and politically. Original feminists stuck their necks out for women then, women now, and the women of the future. Not voting would be disrespecting the bravery they had in challenging social constructs and demanding equality; it would invalidate their struggle, and we would be taking it for granted.

Even though all Americans were granted citizenship under the 14th amendment, many, as well as other minorities, were barred from voting by subversive methods like poll taxes. The twenty-fourth amendment finally did away with this in 1961, and so, the totality of Americans only just recently gained the ability to vote un-impeded. How could we let our opportunity go to waste then? Not voting would be disvaluing the battles many, if not most, Americans fought.

3. Your Vote Matters.

We hear time and time again that our votes matter…but do they really? America is not a direct democracy, rather, it is representative because we elect representatives to vote for us; therefore, we do not directly vote for the President of the United States…so what’s the point? First of all, if the majority of Americans had that attitude, then this would be the result:

Votes do matter. Even if you think your single opinion doesn’t change anything, it does. Yes, you may not directly vote for the President, but your vote determines the slate of electors that will vote for President. The number of electors per state is determined by the number of representatives and senators each state has. It may seem backwards, but because of this system, we don’t have to worry about a “tyranny of the majority,” and states can be represented fairly. And so, your vote is very important. It’s a little more complicated, but your vote has weight.

4. You Are Forced to Find Out What YOU Stand For

Issues of honesty, fidelity, racism, and human decency have all been hot topics in this election season. Many have rescinded endorsements in response to the candidates’ immoral actions, and many are choosing to refrain from voting because they have been posed with moral predicaments. Instead of opting out of voting, look at this election as an opportunity to find out what you truly stand for. It’s safe to say that this election has made us all question what we will and will not tolerate in a potential leader of our nation. Do we look for leadership? Do we remain loyal to our party? Do we look for the person who actually cares about the people they will lead? Do we look at the candidate’s personal and or political track record? It’s all up to you and your decision in the voting booth.

5. With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

You are an adult who has the power to vote. You may not believe that that means anything, but it does. You have the opportunity to change America based on your intelligence and opinion. Realizing that, your vote is so important in this election, and every election. Bottom line: If you care about the country, what it stands for, what it has stood for, or what it should stand for, then you should vote. If nothing else, you’ll know that you did your part to make a difference and shape your country into what you believe it should be. That’s power that should not be taken for granted.

Check in with Her Campus at the University of Utah for all things election-based! We’re proud to bring you coverage written for collegiettes’, by collegiettes’! 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor