Amidst the political turmoil that’s surrounded Donald Trump’s election, the protests that have ensued, and the appointment of some (questionably qualified) officials, it seems that everyone is looking for relief from some serious post-election stress. And who better to turn to than American’s favorite first lady? After Trump’s election, the hashtag #Michelle2020 emerged in order to encourage Michelle Obama to swoop in like the superwoman she is and save America from a second term of Trump. She’s since rejected the idea of running for president, but here are a few reasons why it’s just so hard to hear her say no:
1. She’s really, really smart: Once Michelle skipped the second grade, her parents knew she was special. By the time she was in sixth grade, she started schooling in her middle school’s “Gifted Program,” attended a high school for gifted children, graduated cum laude with a BA in Sociology from Princeton, and then got her JD from Harvard Law School (no big deal.)
2. She’s not afraid to speak out: At the Democratic National Convention, Michelle gave a moving speech about overcoming diversity in America. She said, “…I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves, and I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, black young women, playing with their dogs on the White House lawn.” People complained, but Michelle never missed a beat.
3. The lady knows what she wants: And what she doesn’t. A little-known secret about her romance with Barack is that when he first expressed interest, she said no because she didn’t want to jeopardize their professional relationship (she was his mentor at Harvard Law). Not many people can say that they curved the president.
4. She has no problem commanding a room. One of the tallest First Ladies to grace the White House, this 5’11 beauty can always be seen rocking a power stance and a pair of heels like no one else.
5. She is loving and feminine while being intelligent and strong, in a world that tells women that they can’t be both: Those close to her explain that she is a “big hugger,” and dishes out kindness and love to everyone she meets. Still, she manages a stressful job with passion and grace. She might be set on dedicating her life to helping kids manage healthy lifestyles and expanding education for disadvantaged people rather than snagging the presidency in 2020, but hey, a girl can still dream.
Michelle may be just what the doctor ordered after Trump’s term is up. After President Obama left office with some of the highest approval ratings in history, having America’s favorite family back in the White House could be a great thing.
This piece does not reflect the views of Her Campus, Her Campus Utah, or their affiliates.