4 Self-Help Books You Need This Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’m not sure about others’ experience, but 2018 was quite a debacle for me. At 21, I have already learned that years come and go, and that every year will bring growth and results. So, even if the first half of 2018 was a cycle of stress and tears, I finally found the stepping stones to the rest of my life in the second half. 

Finding my path has been a great experience so far, and continuing to strive in 2019 is also a big goal. I would never have said this a year ago, but something that helped me get through rough months were self-help books. Within the high-stress jungle we live in today, there are hundreds of self-help titles that say will improve your life. Here are the ones I gathered that truly gave me a helping hand. 

1. A Beautiful Mind, a Beautiful Life: The Bubz Guide to Being Unstoppable

This feel-good book written by famous YouTuber, Lindy Tsang, is a great one to start out with. Coming from a Chinese background, her life was one that I could connect with. I cried and laughed throughout her story. She gives out amazing advice about making mistakes and forgiving people. She is someone that stepped out of her comfort zone to become who she is today.

2. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life

First of all, can we just appreciate this title? Mark Manson gives it to us in raw, honest detail. We have to realize that as humans, it is ok to not be perfect. No one truly is, which is why it’s best to let go of the past and look forward. Maybe this is me realizing that I am an emotional human, but this book brought me to tears. It makes you think about your actions and ways to find comfort in life. Manson doesn’t create a fake, idealistic vision board for readers. It’s a blunt, refreshing read. 

3. Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science That Will Transform Your Sex Life

I absolutely loved this book. As someone who is very open about my body and sex, it’s fun to read about it too. Dr. Emily Nagoski explains the unique sexuality of the woman body. It’s another version of your fingerprint. Your body has its different sexual responses, anatomy, and experiences. For all the times your body isn’t acting the same way your brain is thinking, it’s nice to know that you’re still normal. Any doubts you have about your body will be washed away.

4. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

This is a self-help book that is everywhere. Why? Because Stephen R. Covey was a phenomenal speaker and author. This famous book has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide. My mom urged me to read this book after reading it herself. His seven habits are a must to read through and start practicing.

These books may not be the key to solving life, but they will surely get you on your feet. Take a moment of your day to sit down and read a little. 

Source

A girl studying Journalism at the University of Utah. When she is not writing, Nina enjoys novels, her cute dog, dancing in the air and buying excessive amounts of skincare that she doesn't need. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor