14 Must-Watch Movies for Your Galentine’s Get-Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Flowers? Cheaply made “gourmet” chocolates?? Uncomfortably sexual greeting cards??? S***, it must be February again. And you know what that means? The MOST FANTASTIC HOLIDAY OF THE YEAR.

That’s right! Get your head in the Leslie Knope mindset because Galentine’s Day is just around the corner! Yay!!!

It’s not too late to start planning the biggest friendship-themed blowout of the year. And what does every good party need? That’s right: a perfectly timed girl-power gal-pal-centered flick! Luckily for you, I just happen to have a list of fourteen films for you to choose from for the perfect night of movie binging with your besties.

1. Thelma and Louise

Alright, I’m not going to sugarcoat it: this is one of the best BFF movies of all time, and if you haven’t seen it yet, it is a MUST for you and your Galentines to watch. The cast is phenomenal, considering the film stars Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon, and it really opened up conversations about sexual consent, femininity, and domestic violence during the 1990’s. Not to mention, it has super intense chase sequences, the “original selfie”, an incredible plot, and a super young and hot Brad Pitt! What more could you want?

2. The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas

If you’re a fan of Dolly Parton (and who wouldn’t be?!), you and your amigxs are going to absolutely adore this feel-good movie musical. This movie has funny political/social commentary, not to mention some really great songs and a super cute love story! If you love sing-alongs, particularly to “I Will Always Love You”, this is the right flick for you.

3. Mulan

And speaking of sing-along movies, let’s talk about one of the most bada** Disney Princesses (but mostly a warrior) of all time! Mulan is a great movie to watch with your buddies this Galentine’s, because it shows so much girl power, and Alan Menken did a great job on those tunes. Also, if you’re breaking gendernormative barriers this Galentine’s, let’s be real. What movie is better than one where all genders can celebrate a victory together?

4. Mean Girls

So Valentine’s is on a Wednesday this year, that’s all I’m saying. And what do we wear on Wednesdays? That’s right! We. Wear. Pink. So you might as well watch this amazing classic on a Wednesday while wearing pink. This quotable movie is a fool-proof, laugh-out-loud nostalgic blast from our high school trauma–making it the ideal movie for your Galentine’s bash!

5. Crimes of the Heart

If you and your friends are like me, and have a wicked sense of dark humor, then I would recommend this movie! Based on the play by acclaimed playwright Beth Henley, this movie is about love, loss and sisterhood. Plus, you won’t be able to help yourself from chuckling at the comedic tragedy that continues to befall three sisters in 20th Century Mississippi. But seriously–this movie is not for the faint of heart, and if you and your besties love Cards Against Humanity, you might be prepared for the dry qualities in this film.

6. Bring It On

Okay, let’s be real–this is one of our favorite movies of the early 2000’s. It’s fierce, it’s sassy, it’s absolutely hilarious, and it’s a pretty breezy watch, considering the plot is uncomplicated and fun! It shows that friendships really are some of the most important relationships we can have, and you get to watch a ton of amazing cheerleading stunts, which are no easy feat. 

7. The Help

Women are commonly stereotyped to be “catty”. Often, in many social situations, women are supposed to adhere to the rules, and if they break them, they are shunned by other women. But in this movie? Women. Help. Each. Other. And it is one of the most fantastic and courageous stories ever told, because it reminds us that we should help one another and work towards equality and freedom for everyone. That’s what sisters do.

8. Iron Jawed Angels

Ummm okay, what historical event shows more moxie and gumption than finally securing the 19th amendment in the USA?? Women were only given the right to vote around 100 years ago, and a lot of times we still don’t recognize the names of Alice Paul, Carrie Chapman Catt, or Ida B. Wells. These women devoted their lives to a cause that has provided us with the freedom and power we enjoy today. They deserve our gratitude and respect. So, if you don’t recognize these names, you need to hop on this movie. ASAP.

9. Romy and Michele’s Highschool Reunion

Is there any friendship more iconic than Romy and Michele’s? Honestly, I don’t think so. These besties are goals–they are willing to do anything for one another, and they truly accept each other as they are. Of course, they have their ups and downs, but their friendship is so pure and adorable. It’s always nice to remember that you and your friends have each other’s backs, no matter how dumb you might look going to your high school reunion.

10. Steel Magnolias

If you’re in the mood for a tearjerker with an amazing cast (Julia Roberts, Sally Field, Dolly Parton, etc.), then this is absolutely the movie for you. It really redefines the importance of female relationships, and expresses why we should maintain those relationships. This movie is sure to make you and your pals absolutely cry your eyes out, while also reminding you that you are tough as nails, especially with your friends by your side.

11. Clueless

Are you going to skip this classic 90’s flick at your Galentine’s party? Ugh, AS IF. Clueless is the perfect movie to show at a friendship-centered hoedown, because it really exemplifies how human beings can bring each other down, but it’s much more powerful and fulfilling to lift them up so they can be their best! Also, Patrick Dempsey and Alicia Silverstone are wayyyy too cute!

12. Ghostbusters (Remake)

Let’s talk about women in comedy and how the Ghostbusters remake took just about every female stereotype in comedy and totally threw it out the window. Ghostbusters is a hilarious, wonderful, bada** breakage of gender barriers, and it’s sure to be a winning flick at your Galentine’s get-together. I mean, come ON, Leslie Jones, Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig and Kate McKinnon in the same movie? How can you possibly resist?!

13. 9 to 5

And speaking of dream-team casting, let’s talk about 9 to 5, which stars some of our favorite feminist celebrity icons: Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin and Jane Freakin’ Fonda. Guys, this movie is too d*** funny, and it’ll sincerely resonate if you and your homies are sick and TIRED for working in a “conventional” 70 cents to the dollar type of workforce. I absolutely adore this movie, and I’m sure you and your friends will too!

14. Pitch Perfect

Alright, pitches, if you’re in the mood for a super-poppin’ party, you best be watching this brilliant classic. While you’re singing and dancing to all of the really cool acapella tunes, you get to see the AMAZING talent of Brittany Snow, Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, and Ben Platt (aka the ACTUAL LOVE OF MY LIFE). It’s such a heartwarming movie, and the jokes are way too good to ignore, making it perfect for you and your Galentines!

These are only some of the best #GirlPower movies worth your Galentine’s extravaganza, but there are tons more out there!! So what are you waiting for? Send out those invites, break out that shopping list, and order some freaking awesome movies for you and your besties to enjoy!!

Happy Galentine’s!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor