This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With Halloween right around the corner, there’s nothing better than having a cozy night in watching scary movies. But trying to find an a good horror movie that is actually scary can be difficult sometimes, and we all know that even though horror movies are great, some are better than others. Personally, I feel like I have already seen the best of the best when it comes to the horror genre, so I narrowed it down and came up with a list of my personal top 10 favorite horror movies that are appropriate for this Halloween season. You’re in for a treat! 

1. Trick ‘r Treat (2007) 

Trick ‘r Treat turned into an instant Halloween classic when it was released in 2007, and will always remain one of my all-time favorite Halloween movies. The movie consists of five different stories that are interwoven, and take place on Halloween night. Anthologies in movies can be hit or miss, but every single anthology in this movie is purely frightening and entertaining making it perfect to watch during Halloween season.

2. Jennifer’s Body (2009)

Jennifer’s Body is one of my favorite movies ever, and I will always recommend it to everyone. In this cult classic, Megan Fox plays a cheerleader who becomes possessed and ruthlessly murders boys. This movie is the perfect dark comedy to watch this October, with just the right amount of horror mixed in! 

3. The Shining (1980)

The iconic film The Shining based on the novel written by Stephen King will forever remain a classic in the horror genre. I have been a fan of the film since the first time I watched it when I was pretty young, and it is still one of the best, in my opinion. If you’re looking for a classic horror gem to watch, The Shining is the movie for you.

4. Halloween (1978)

There are now 11 movies in the iconic Halloween film franchise, including the newest addition to the series that just hit theaters on October 19th! Michael Myers is one of the most iconic slasher film stars, and he’s back this year. Each Halloween movie in the film series is different in its own way, so during the season of Halloween you can’t go wrong with any of them. A Halloween movie marathon is always a good idea! 

5. Sinister (2012)

Sinister is a movie that actually sent chills down my spine, and made it hard for me to fall asleep at night. The story revolves around a family who moves into a house that is occupied by a demonic spirit looking to possess. The concept of this movie is different than any other supernatural horror movie, and I would honestly consider Sinister to be one of the most horrifying movies I’ve seen. 

6. Tales of Halloween (2015)

This film is somewhat similar to Trick ‘r Treat because it contains a similar series of horror anthologies that take place on Halloween. However, it’s different because this movie has 10 different stories with very different concepts. Both movies are unique in their own way, and I definitely recommend this to anyone who loves short horror stories or just Halloween in general. 

7. Friday the 13th (1980)

The Friday the 13th franchise is well-known and remains very popular in the world of horror. This one revolves around the infamous hockey-masked wearing killer Jason who has been described as an “iconic madman.” If you’re a horror movie lover at heart, Friday the 13th is a must watch 80’s classic.

8. The Conjuring (2013)

The Conjuring is a supernatural horror movie that is said to be based on true events. This film follows the lives of a family who must deal with the demonic possession of their mother, and is much more of a jump-scare movie than the other movies I have listed. One thing is for sure, you’ll definitely get a good scare watching this one.

9. Terrifier (2018)

Terrifier was just recently added to Netflix, so I decided to give it a chance one night. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. It was scary in without being corny, like I thought it might be. The killer is a clown, and the movie does contain a good amount of gore. If you can handle that, I recommend Terrifier because it is truly terrifying.

10. It (2017)

The remake of Stephen King’s classic It that came out last year is a great movie to watch this time of year. It itself is very creepy, especially if you don’t like clowns like me! One specific thing I liked about this movie was that even though it is in the horror genre, it was also enjoyable because of the humor the kids add to it, but the film overall as a whole is definitely sinister.

Each one of these movies is unique and different from the rest which is why I like them all so much. There are tons of amazing horror films out there, these are just a few of my personal preferences when it comes to the horror genre! These movies are definitely some of the best, and I recommend them to anyone who is in need of horror movies to watch. 

Delaney is a recent 2020 graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Strategic Communication. She feels very passionate about her writing and has enjoyed being apart of a woman empowered online magazine like Her Campus.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor