This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I am an only child, so I am acclimated to having my own bed and bathroom at home (not in a selfish way). I never had the opportunity to share my personal space with other people. I was so excited to live with roommates! The first week of living with my roommates was great. Nothing seemed bad, but it is when I really got to know them is when I realized living with other people was a new challenge for me. Here are the top 3 things I have discovered while living with others.

1. Coming Home Drunk

There has been many times where I just wanted to go to bed, whether it was because I had an early class the next day or I was just really tired. When my roommates decide to go out (especially on Thursdays), I always tell them when they come back I will most likely be sleeping so try not to make too much noise because I am not a heavy sleeper. I know they try their best to not make any noise, but it never works. Naps save the day though!

1. Sharing a Bathroom

I have always had a bathroom to myself, and always kept it fairly clean and organized. Now that I am sharing a sink with two other roommates and a shower with five, it is a lot to maintain. So far I have not encountered any problems with who was going to get in the shower, but it is hard when you need to use the restroom and someone decides to take a nice long hot shower. Sharing the sink is its own challenge as well. The sink is constantly filled with things (toothpaste, hairbrushes, food, and dirty dishes) and it is not that big of a deal, but sometimes it becomes a problem and a bit disgusting.

1. Privacy

I am a freshman, so making new friends is a must in the first semester of college. We always have people over to hang with and it is fun, but sometimes some people do not get the hint. I enjoy when people come over, but sometimes they over extend their stay. When I just want time to do my work I should not have to be the one to leave MY own room to go study elsewhere.

Sometimes it does get to be a lot to handle, but in the end I enjoy living with my roommates. It is a new experience for me, and I would not have been able to write this article if I was in a room all by myself.

Sam is Campus Correspondent for the University of Tampa! She is a communications major with a concentration in media studies and a minor in new media production. For someone who is barely five feet tall, Sam has big aspirations. She hopes to become the next Rachel Hollis or Miranda Priestly. If all else fails however, she’ll have an exciting future as Mrs. Justin Bieber! Sam talks non stop about her sorority, Pi Beta Phi and can easily be spotted on campus wearing her letters. She is an avid brunch goer and disney enthusiast. Buy her some cheesecake and you're guaranteed friends.