Campus Celebrity: Austin MacFarland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

You probably have seen this week’s Campus Celebrity telling some good jokes, and making the audience laugh during the Gluten-Free Improv performances!

Austin is a senior from Mexico, NY earning a degree in Public Health/Behavioral Health, and a minor in Sociology. 

Austin is a very busy and involved student as he is in President’s Leadership Fellows, a Student Coordinator, President of Spartan’s Calisthenics Club, participant in Gluten-Free Improv, team member in intramural sports, a Research Coordinator for St. Joseph’s Hospital, and does work with Special Olympics, and the Social Change Project with Alpha House (Homelessness).  When Austin has some free time (which does not seem possible with this list), he enjoys doing calisthenics, working out, traveling, listening to music, and hanging out with friends.  Recently, his girlfriend has him hooked of watching The Office on Netflix. 

Gluten-Free Improv is notorious for their one-liners, funny moments, and quirking acting.  Austin has enjoyed being a part of the crew, and his favorite skit from all of the performances he has done is a game called sound effects. This game involves two audience members coming on stage and making noises for another two of the troupe performers for a specific scene. “It’s always hilarious to hear the strange noises people end up making,” states Austin.

As Austin prepares to graduate next spring, he reflects on so many of the wonderful memories he has shared with roommates, friends, and colleagues.  He has enjoyed the various improv shows he has performed in with the whole troupe over the years. Gluten-Free Improv won the award for most improved organization at Leadership Awards Night last academic year, and for the troupe it was great to see how far they have come as an organization.  Last year, he directed a movie for Campus Movie Fest and made it to the finals!  Austin said that it was an amazing experience as a non-film major to create something for everyone on campus to see.  Austin also went on an Alternative Break to San Francisco to help immigrant children, and the experience was absolutely wonderful for him.

Even though it is hard to get into the holiday spirit with finals upon us, Austin is enjoying every minute of the most wonderful time of the year.  His favorite part about the holidays is the merry atmosphere as he has a break from school, and is able to see his family. Good movies, awesome food, thoughtful presents, and white snow are all a part of the magic. He definitely misses cutting down the Christmas tree like his family does up north. 

For the future, Austin wants to travel to several different places that are on his bucket list, and one of them happens to be New Zealand!  When he was first becoming a professional ski instructor, his teacher was a top skier from New Zealand, and since then it has been his goal to ski in this beautiful country.  Also, Lord of the Rings was filmed there, enough said. 

Austin would like to end with this quote, “Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time,” said by Steven Wright.

You can keep up with Austin by seeing if he ever makes it to New Zealand by following him on Twitter: @austispomonti, and Instagram: austinmacfarland.

Jennifer McElroy is currently a Senior earning a degree in Communications and a double minor in Advertising and Applied Dance. She has resided in Florida for most of her life and lives in the sunny and beautiful Sarasota. When Jennifer is not in dance rehearsals or stuck in her room doing homework, she enjoys going to the gym, shopping, spending quality time with friends, and eating cookies.
Hi, I'm Chanel. I'm a Sophomore at the University of Tampa with a major in Public Health. I laugh at horror movies, don't understand romantic movies, and cry during documentaries. I am vegetarian, but I will make an exception for pepperoni pizza rolls because the plain cheese are just plan disgusting. I dream of owning a cuddly pet chicken and a tiny home. Hm... I also enjoy torturing myself by spending an hour and half in a 105 degree room to practice Bikram Yoga. That is all.