Student I.D.’s: More Than Just A Bad Picture- Save Money Too!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

One very important perk about being a student at a University is the discounts; granted some of us are up to our eye-balls in debt, but at least we can get cheap movie tickets right? I feel like every week I learn something new that my student I.D. can get me for free or with a great discount.

In the immediate St. Petersburg area USFSP students get into museums for next to nothing! Entrance to The Dali Museum as well as The Holocaust museum is free (I highly recommend making a visit to both, they have SO much history); The St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts charges only $10 for admission with a student I.D. (adults are usually $17).

When you head to the mall make sure you have your student I.D. I recently learned that J.Crew offers 15% off the entire store with valid I.D., which can really add up! Kate Spade also offers 15% off as well as Banana Republic and The Loft! Charlotte Rousse and Urban Outfitters offer 10% off everything with your I.D. as well, so you’re bound to find something for a good price! Some movie theaters give discounted tickets with your I.D. card, though not everywhere accepts it, so check their websites or call ahead of time to be sure your location provides a student discount.

Next time you grab lunch with some friends, flash your student I.D. and save some cash! Subway, McDonalds, and Burger King all offer 10% off your order with your I.D. If you’re heading to Chipotle or Chick-fil-a and you can pick up a free drink with your student I.D.

Showing your student I.D. can save you a lot of money if you add it all up over 4 years. I started a list on my phone of places that give a student discount so next time I am out, I can make my dollar stretch that much farther.

Where have you found student discounts?

Emily is a senior at USFSP studying English Literature. She has been with Her Campus for one year and one month, and loves all the friends she has made by joining. Her hobbies include reading, spending time with friends, baking, and catching up on her favorite television shows. Her favorite thing about Her Campus is the ability to write about things that are relevant to girls her own age, as well as covering fun campus events. She looks forward to her last semesters of under graduate study and Her Campus USFSP.