Sparkle & Shatter: New Spring Nail Polish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Exit all dingy browns and plums, feverish reds and New Year’s giltzes and golds.  Enter shiny, holographic, sparkly and shattered!  Spring is almost here and your hands are more than ready to breathe some warm air.
The name-brand polishes popular this season are OPI’s Katy Perry collection, the designer Jason Wu’s Creative Nail Design collection and China Glaze’s “Tronica” collection. 

Photo by Aimee Alexander

Don’t get your hopes too high with the names of the Katy Perry collection. You won’t be able to wear any “California Gurls” on your nails, but you can let everyone see your super sparkly pink “Teenage Dream.” The coolest polish is “Black Shatter.” Apply one coat over any (dried) polish, and as it, the black polish begins to crack, leaving a textured, “shattered “effect.
I used all the colors on my finger nails and I am still amazed at how cool the collection is. And with as many girls and women who waited for the collection to debut, Katy Perry will sure have a nice “Firework” of a pay check for this endorsement.
Tennis-player-turned-nail-technician Serena Williams has her own OPI collection, “Grand Slam”, yet to be released in its entirety. The debut polish from the collection, “Simply Smashing,” is tennis ball yellow-green and it is paired with “Black Shatter” which just may give off a Halloween effect. Despite the fluorescent shimmer, it looks better in the bottle than on my hand. But, no prejudgments here, I can’t wait to for the other three colors to debut.
“Tronica” by China Glaze was inspired by the movie Tron. The futuristic colors and holographics from the movie translate nicely into this full collection of pinks, greens, purples, blues and metallics. Futuristic fashion hit it big when the “Zenon” movies came out. So if you didn’t see or didn’t like “Tron,” just reminisce in the throwback to 1999.
If you aren’t into shimmer and stage glitter on your fingers and toes, try the CND collection from Jason Wu. With similar hues and much less sparkle, you can go from office to weekend without whipping out acetone and cotton balls. This collection also has its own “effect” called “Anna” and resembles tweed.  It isn’t out until May, so we’ll have to be content with “Tronica” and Katy Perry collections until then.
Apparently these “shatter” polishes aren’t new to the nail lacquer scene, but in all my nail polish-crazed days (I started at age six) I haven’t seen anything like it.  Now, it’s the newest thing, so why not embrace the comeback, if you will, and “shatter” everything from nails to stereotypes.

*Story and photo can be found in the current Crow’s Nest Issue 11.

Sources:
Opi.com
Imdb.com
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com
http://modernsalon.com
allure.com