Our First Year of College: USFSP’s Class of 2019 Reflects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

It’s hard to believe that my first year of college is over. It feels like orientation happened just yesterday.

For my final Her Campus article of this school year, I thought it would be fitting if I dedicated it solely to the Freshmen Class of 2019 at USFSP and let them and myself reflect on our first year of college.

“The one thing I was most excited about was being in a new place and living on my own. I was most nervous about how I would handle dealing with the classes and workload… My proudest moment was getting A’s and B’s in both semesters… I wish I had gotten more involved my first semester. I think that would have made transitioning to a new place with new people a little easier… I’m now involved with Her Campus and the Women’s Empowerment Club… My advice to the new freshmen is to work hard but remember to have fun and enjoy your time here… It goes by too fast so enjoy this time while you can… Looking back on this past year, I am so glad I chose USFSP. I can’t imagine myself anywhere else.” –Emily Bowers

“I was most excited about meeting new people and living a more independent lifestyle, though I was nervous about adjusting to a new place and finding my way around… My favorite memories from this year was creating meaningful relationships with professors and friends alike… One of my favorite people I’ve met is my roommate, Max McKinley, I have no doubt that we’ll end up being lifelong friends… I was involved with The Crow’s Nest as a contributor, USC Hall Council as a secretary, and the Marketing Club… I don’t wish I could’ve done anything differently this year. In my mind everything happens for a reason, and I appreciate everything that has happened… I could write a book of advice for incoming students, but I’d break it all down to this: Listen to other’s perspectives without losing grasp of your own.” –Gianni Bessette

“Over the fall semester, I was in the Marketing Club and the Women’s Empowerment Club, and during the spring semester, I joined the Her Campus club, and attended a lot of Needle Arts Club events. I was also involved in the Leadership LLC and became a peer coach… My favorite memory has to be the first floor meeting on our floor-I thought everyone was so odd, but in a matter of minutes, we all became fast friends and have stayed a pretty close-knit floor/community since then…My proudest moment has to be when I first found out I became a Peer Coach.. As for advice for incoming freshmen, come to your Peer Coach meetings. Also, learn some time management skills to juggle your social life, involvement on campus, and school work. And definitely join at least one club.” –Hayley Garron

“When I didn’t get accepted into my first choice I decided to come here. But honestly, I wouldn’t trade the experiences and connections I’ve made here for anything in the world. I am more than happy that I chose USFSP… I worked 3 jobs on campus this year. My first two were as student assistants at the Bishop Center and the Wellness Center. And then during the beginning of spring semester I was hired as a peer coach for the 2016-2017 school year…My proudest moment would have to be being one of the top 4 filmmakers at Campus MovieFest. It was an amazing experience and really opened my eyes to things that I had never considered as a possibility for my future…I want to tell others that if you get a chance to do something and you think you’ll have fun (and it won’t interfere with class), do it! I almost didn’t participate in CMF because I didn’t think I could do it. But because I took the chance I was given, I’m going to be heading to Atlanta in a month to go to the national finale. If you believe in yourself, you can do anything.” –Yosbel Garcia  *Here is the link to Yosbel’s movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CfG-tgNEXY

“…This campus has allowed me to grow professionally and academically…I recently became a new USFSP Ambassador, which so far has been an amazing experience.  I was part of the Fundraising Committee for Miracle Dance Marathon which raised more than $10,000 for All Children’s Hospital. I also work at the Leadership and Student Organizations Office, which has allowed me to interact with clubs on campus, organize and participate on important events throughout the year… My proudest moment from this year has to be Feeding Children Everywhere. I was able to organize the event, in which Ambassadors and Volunteers were able to pack more than 10,000 meals that were distributed to the St. Petersburg community…Since I am a commuter when I first started I would just come to class and go straight back home. I wish I would had been involved more in campus since the beginning… My advice for freshman is even if they are a commuter…make sure to be involved in activities, clubs and offices. By being involved they will not only be able to meet new people, but it will also help them grow personally.”- Eylin Cabrera Mulet

And as for me, looking back on this past year, I can’t believe how much I’ve grown to love USFSP. The longer I was here, the more I found myself thriving and falling in love with the campus and the people. USFSP ended up being a perfect fit for me. The small class sizes, the gorgeous campus, the friendly students, the wonderful staff that really cares about the students, the amazing academic programs and opportunities… I just feel so blessed that fate brought me here. My favorite memory from this year was when my film, “Out of Nowhere”, made it to the Top 16 at the Campus MovieFest finale. I worked really hard on that film, and as an actress it meant a lot to me to be recognized in that moment. (link to my film:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peKfd-SHHZY) As for my proudest moment, it would have to be when I found out I would be the new Director of Films for Harborside Activities Board and the Events Director/Treasurer (again) for Her Campus at USFSP. Something I say to myself is “You’re only going to be at college for four years, so make it count. Make people know who you are; leave a legacy here”, and I’m hopefully going to do that with these two wonderful positions.

College has given me a new found confidence. I’m more independent and sociable and I’ve also learned so much, not only academically and professionally, but I’m also learning more and more about myself each day. And for all the new freshmen reading this, if you ever need help/advice on something or need help transitioning into college, feel free to find me on campus and I will gladly help you. We really are a family here at USFSP and I’m so excited for you to experience that (and for me to continue to experience that) next year.

HCXOXO,

Kelli Carmack

Hi, I'm Kelli Carmack! I am a senior Mass Communications Major at USFSP with a minor in Art History. I'm currently the Co-President of Her Campus at USFSP, a leadership role I hold dear to my heart. I have some pretty big dreams for myself. I plan on getting into the broadcast journalism and/or entertainment field. I hope to one day be the next Barbara Walters, sitting down with prominent people and asking them those hard-hitting questions. While I'm not busy focusing on my career goals, I enjoy going to the beach, painting and reading!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.