The “Organic” Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Buying organic means you’re getting food that is grown by mostly natural products. This means no artificial fertilizers and no added hormones. The materials used to grow the food promote biodiversity (currently declining). The methods used during processing are designed to minimize air, water and soil pollution.

Buying organic promotes balance to the system as a whole and is better for humans and animals. To ensure the food you buy is really organic, look for the “USDA Certified Organic” label.

“The primary goal of organic agriculture is to optimize the health and productivity of interdependent communities of soil life, plants, animals and people.”-U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Not only does buying organic help the environment, but there is “what’s in it for me” factor. Eating organic is good fuel for your body, so you will feel more refreshed and you will see a difference in your skin, hair and nails.

Even if you only buy a few organic things during your next trip to the grocery store, something is better than nothing! Take a little time this week and give back to Mother Nature and the rest of the world.

For more information on certified organic, check out the USDA website, http://www.nal.usda.gov/ (source).