This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

I’m spent most of my life in the “Sunshine State” that is Florida. The weather drops a few degrees and out come the knitted sweaters and hoodies. When I made plans to travel to Chicago with two of my friends, I had no clue what I was really signing up for.

The Windy City is no joke people. It may be cold, but i’ve heard the wind also cuts through you like a knife. I’ve  never seen snow, so when I heard that the chances of it snowing during my visit were high I knew I would need to find gloves. Mistake #1: I didn’t pack gloves.

The days leading up to my trip were spent driving to every Goodwill, thrift shop, and consignment store near me. I wasn’t about to drop heavy cash on clothes for this one trip. I gathered all the sweaters I already had, and even lucked out on finding some second hand pieces for low prices.

When it came to a coat, Marshall’s was my godsend. Keep in mind I was shopping more for aesthetic rather than actual warmth. Oops: Mistake #2. I ended up buying a Vince Camuto trench coat better suited for rain than cold but hear me out: the older women working the fitting rooms said the coat would come in handy for rain, snow, and wind, so it’s somewhat of a win-win. I can definitely wear the coat back home in Florida. As long as I layer with my sweaters, I think I’ll survive the Chicago weather.

Other essentials I packed are a scarf, a beanie, booties, and jeans. My jeans may be ripped but my outfits will be A1. Mistake #3? Oh well, let’s just hope I don’t come back with hypothermia. Here’s to adventure no matter the lack of preparation!

HCXOXO,

Vanessa Rivera

Hey, I'm Vanessa! Im a senior at USFSP majoring in Mass Communications. I hope you enjoy my writing that will be about literally anything and everything. My goal after college is to find a career in the entertainment or music industry. To make that happen, I'm currently planning a big move from sunny Florida to sunny California! Follow me on my journey through my writing, enjoy!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.