Wellness

My Favorite Vegan Dorm-Room Delicacies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

It’s no surprise that the vegan diet has been gaining traction in America in recent years due to its health benefits, lower environmental footprint, and animal protection impacts. Many grocery stores and restaurants are also beginning to take on more vegan meal options and offer vegan-friendly substitutes for commonly used ingredients (e.g. milk, butter, etc). This increase in availability of plant-based food makes the ability to partake in this diet much more accessible. 

So, what’s the problem? 

Following a vegan diet in college can be challenging. For me, a lack of options in dining halls and small communal kitchens have made figuring out what to eat every day very difficult, to say the least. So, through my experience, I have compiled meals that are perfect for a gal on a budget, with limited supplies, and a tight schedule! 

Breakfast 

If you haven’t heard someone say “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” sometime in your life, then I don’t know where you’ve been. Truth be told though, I’m not much of a breakfast person and find it hard to stomach giant portions early in the morning. Plus, who has time for that? With early classes and pure sleep deprivation, I know I’m not getting up to cook a traditional style breakfast at the crack of dawn. With that said, getting some food in my stomach before I start my day is still important. So, here are some of my favorite go-to vegan breakfasts that are quick, simple, and delicious. 

Fruity Overnight Oats 

This breakfast is perfect for anyone with a little bit of a sweet tooth! These overnight oats are great for an on-the-go breakfast and packed with nutrients. Since the day I first tried them, I have never (and will never) go back. I love this recipe because it is so easy to store and the ingredients can be easily substituted based on your preferences!  

Appliances needed:  

• Refrigerator 

Supplies needed: 

• Mixing bowl 
  • Jars or covered containers 

Ingredients needed (see recipe for substitute options): 

• Chia seeds
  • Banana
  • Cinnamon
  • Oats
  • Plant milk
  • Toppings of choice (I love using granola and blueberries)! 

All there is to do is combine the ingredients, pop the containers in the refrigerator, and they’ll be ready to go in the morning!

Fluffy Vegan Pancakes 

I absolutely love this recipe for when I have a slow morning. With only seven simple ingredients, this breakfast saves me a lot of money and trips to the grocery store. I also really enjoy how customizable it is – personally, I like to add bananas or blueberries into my batter! These pancakes can even be meal-prepped by storing in a refrigerator or freezer. 

Appliances needed: 

• Stove, hot plate, or electric cooktop 
  • Refrigerator 

Supplies needed: 

• Mixing bowl 
  • Whisk 
  • Griddle or pan  

Ingredients: 

• Flour
  • Baking Powder
  • Salt 
  • Sugar
  • Plant milk
  • Water
  • Oil or Vegan Butter

After mixing the ingredients together, scoop the batter into a pan. The pancake is ready to flip when it starts to bubble!

Vegan Breakfast Sammy 

If you couldn’t tell, I love recipes that can be prepped ahead of time. These breakfast sandwiches are super easy to take on-the-go and can be customized to your preferences! Even more, they can be made without any cooking appliances which is super helpful for when I’m feeling extra lazy in the morning. 

Appliances needed (optional): 

• Stove and/or microwave 

Supplies needed: 

• Mixing bowl 
  • Utensils (to mash/mix) 

Ingredients: 

• White beans  
  • Vegan mayo or tahini 
  • English Muffin
  • Onion powder 
  • Turmeric 
  • Paprika 
  • Sandwich toppings (I like to use tomatoes and spinach!) 

Although the recipe calls for an English muffin, I usually I don’t have these on hand and they’re not my favorite. So, one of the best substitutes that I have used for this recipe is ciabatta bread. It works just as well and tastes amazing!

Lunch 

Lunch is my favorite meal, so I tend to spend a little longer cooking my food at this time; however, “long” for me actually maxes out at about 30 minutes. These lunches are the ones I most commonly gravitate towards and come back to again and again.  

Classic Vegan Fried Rice 

Who doesn’t love a delicious bowl of fried rice for lunch? This savory recipe is great to whip up in a pinch and packed with flavor. I love cooking this meal when I’m getting down to the scraps of my groceries and need to use up my veggies! As a side note, it’s also difficult to mess up – even if you’re a mediocre cook, like me.  

Appliances needed: 

• Stove, hot plate, or electric cooktop 

Supplies needed: 

• Cutting board and knife 
  • Frying pan 

Ingredients (customizable): 

• Rice of choice (sushi rice is my favorite) 
  • Vegan Butter 
  • Soy Sauce 
  • Rice Wine Vinegar 
  • Vegetables of choice (I typically use onion, peas, edamame, dried seaweed) 
  • Spices  

Another way I like to spice up this dish (and get extra protein) is by adding tempeh or tofu to the recipe!

Creamy Avocado Pasta  

I know this one may sound a bit unorthodox, but I have been making this meal for years – even before I went vegan! Pasta is one of my most-eaten meals because it is so quick to cook and can be made in so many different ways. This sauce is similar in texture to alfredo sauce, and although it doesn’t taste the same, it’s a great substitute and puts a twist on a traditional pasta dish! 

Appliances needed: 

• Stove, hot plate, or electric cooktop 
  • Food processor or blender

Supplies needed: 

• Pot 
  • Strainer 

Ingredients (customizable): 

• Pasta of choice 
  • Avocado 
  • Garlic 
  • Spinach 
  • Chili flakes 
  • Lemon/lime juice 
  • Olive oil 
  • Salt and black pepper 

Something important to note is that a food processor or blender is not necessary to make this dish successfully. I often opt to mash the ingredients together. Although it doesn’t look as pretty, it saves me time cleaning my blender and tastes just as great!

Chickpea-Avocado Sammy  

This protein-rich sandwich checks all my boxes: easy to make, quick prep, and super filling! I first had a sandwich like this at one of my all-time favorite vegan restaurants in my hometown. Ever since, I’ve been hooked. This recipe is the closest replica I have found, and I am never disappointed with the result! It is the perfect combination of flavors and is sure to make you wish you went vegan sooner. I always make this sandwich if I’m taking lunch on the go because it is so easy to store in a container and/or lunch box. 

Appliances needed: 

• None 

Supplies needed: 

• Mixing bowl 
  • Utensils 

Ingredients: 

• Chickpeas 
  • Avocado 
  • Cilantro 
  • Green onions 
  • Lime juice 
  • Salt and pepper 
  • Bread of choice 
  • Toppings of choice  

I always play around with my toppings for this sandwich, and if I’m being honest, I usually just use whatever I have left in my fridge. But ideally, I love to use alfalfa sprouts, tomato, and cucumbers to top off the chickpea mash!

Dinner 

In my experience, dinner can sometimes be the most effort-consuming meal. But as I said before, who has time for that? I love these dinner recipes because they are not only simple, but deliciously dinner-worthy! These dishes utilize as few appliances and ingredients as possible, while still packing in nutrients and great flavor. 

Tempeh Stir-Fry  

Whenever I get the chance to add tempeh to a dish, I’m going to do it. Other than its extensive list of health benefits, I think it’s delicious! This tempeh stir fry uses leftover ingredients to create a flavorful and nutritious dish. Plus, it is always customizable, and ingredients can be swapped in or out easily. I love changing up my tempeh marinade because, like tofu, the tempeh will take on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with, making this dish very versatile.  

Appliances needed: 

• Stove, hot plate, or electric cooktop 
  • Refrigerator  

Supplies needed: 

• Small mixing bowl 
  • Frying pan or skillet  
  • Cooking Utensils 

Ingredients (see recipe for marinade ingredients): 

• Tempeh 
  • Sesame oil 
  • Green onion 
  • Vegetables of choice 
  • Coconut aminos 
  • Rice of choice 

As I mentioned, this recipe calls for a marinade for the tempeh. However, I often skip this step and throw the tempeh into the stir-fry as it is. In doing it this way, the tempeh retains its natural flavor (which I really enjoy) and takes on a light flavor of the other stir-fry ingredients.

Vegan Burritos  

Another meal prep dish – are you surprised? All jokes aside, these plant-based burritos are delicious, filling, and can be eaten right away or stored for later! Plus, they save me a lot of time and money since the recipe makes a lot – and I mean a lot – at once. If you’ve never had plant-based ground beef, prepare to have your mind blown. If I ever have a craving for a taco bell burrito, this recipe is the perfect substitute and won’t leave me in the bathroom (if you know what I mean).  

Appliances needed: 

• Stove, hot plate, or electric cooktop 
  • Refrigerator  
  • Blender  

Supplies needed: 

• Pot
  • Frying pan or skillet

Ingredients: 

• Bell peppers 
  • Vegan beef 
  • Black beans 
  • Flour tortillas 
  • Plant milk 
  • Cashews 
  • Potato 
  • Carrot 
  • Taco seasoning 
  • Nutritional yeast  

One of my favorite ways to customize this meal is by changing out what type of tortillas I use. My personal favorite substitute is a spinach wrap!

Creamy Broccoli Potato Soup  

One of my favorite meals before going vegan was broccoli cheddar soup, specifically the one from Panera Bread. I thought after changing my diet, I wouldn’t be able to eat this meal ever again, but I thought wrong! If you’re a fan of broccoli cheddar, this plant-based version will satisfy every craving. This recipe is packed with food that is not only good for your taste buds, but for your body, too. Even more, it’s the perfect dinner for a cozy, chilly night and can be stored and enjoyed over and over.  

Appliances needed: 

• Stove, hot plate, or electric cooktop 
  • Blender 

Supplies needed: 

• Cutting board and knife
  • Pot

Ingredients (substitute spices and flavorings as preferred): 

• Vegetables (Yukon gold potatoes, yellow onion, garlic, broccoli florets, and carrots)  
  • Olive oil 
  • Vegetable broth 
  • Cashews  
  • Thyme 
  • Dill 
  • Salt 
  • White wine vinegar 
  • Dijon mustard 

One of my biggest mistakes in making this recipe was underestimating the power of cashews. This ingredient may seem odd, but cashews, along with the potatoes, are essential for successfully creating the creamy texture that makes this soup so delicious!

Like I said, these recipes are my holy grail for vegan dorm cooking. They help me save time, money, and still get in a healthy and filling meal. Being plant-based in college can be difficult, but finding these recipes has saved me from the horrors of eating at the dining hall. If it hasn’t already been made painfully clear, I’m not a professional cook and I will always do my best to cut corners in the cooking process whenever humanly possible. But if this list has proven nothing else, just because a meal is simple, doesn’t mean it can’t be delicious! 

Hi, my name is Sofia! I am a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg and I am on track to receive a degree in Communications and Multimedia Journalism. I have always loved writing and hope to be able to pursue it as a career! I enjoy writing about environmental issues, travel, wellness, and animal rights. Outside of my school-life I spend a lot of time on my crochet business on Etsy. Im hoping to start selling at local farmers markets as well :) I also love thrifting, hiking, reading, and photography!