Meet Campus Celebrity: Lorenza Navarro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

What is your full name?

Lorenza Navarro

What is your major?
 Psychology & Criminology

What year are you in college?

I am currently finishing up my 2nd semester as a Junior!

What are you involved in on campus here at USFSP and what made you decide to get involved?

My first involvement at USFSP was with RHA. A random flyer in the residence hall is what led to my decision. During only my 2nd week on campus, I ran for secretary and was super excited to be a part of residential life. I continued my involvement by becoming a Resident Assistant, and then the Lead Resident Assistant, still keeping my involvement with RHA as an RA Liason. Residence Hall Association gave me amazing experiences and presented me with awesome opportunities to represent USFSP across the state.

In addition to residential life involvement, I was also a founding board member of the Musicians Society my freshman year, serving as secretary. During the Spring semester, we held our first event called “Bulls Save Lives”, an all day concert and blood drive that resulted in over 300 lives saved! In the recent year, living off campus has taken from my residential life involvement, but I still stay busy and I am happy being a dedicated mentor in the Project 10 StingRay program. 

How far have you come since the fall semester?
     Since Fall semester, I have decided to take on a second major which was an exciting decision. I have also recently applied to volunteer at a local runaway shelter in St Petersburg and to become a part of Big Brothers Big Sisters. Staying involved in both the community and on campus is important to me. I’d like to think that each semester I grow as a person, and hopefully inspire others to do the same. Oh and I recently became National Miss Florida 2013 which is an awesome accomplishment this Spring. I cannot wait to represent St Petersburg, our campus, and Florida at Nationals in VA this August! Wish me luck :) www.facebook.com/NationalMissFlorida2013

Were you in love with USFSP before you attended? Did you have a different expectation of it?
   I decided to attend USFSP quite spontaneously. I had began my college career at home in NJ and realized that I was not receiving the most out of my experience. I knew that if I wanted to fully immerse myself at college, I would have to make a big change and leave home. I did not know much of USFSP honestly, besides that it was in Florida and that I would not be spending every weekend home. 
  Whatever expectations I did have were met above and beyond when I got here. I remember flying down for the first week of classes wondering how long I’d last before I wanted to go home. Three years later, this is my home.

What are your plans for the future of being involved on campus?
  Well, with my last year I intend on continuing my involvement with Project10 Stingray. I believe this is one of the most important opportunities USFSP can offer its students. I also hope to become a campus tour guide!

What advice could you give freshmen about college?
  Remember why you’re here. First and foremost, get your work done and excel in your classes. Second, being a student leader will give you way more fulfillment and enjoyment than throwing a good party. Get involved. Join a club. Don’t see one that you’re interested in? Start one! This campus gives everyone the opportunity to better themselves and learn from each other. 

What changes do you think our school needs? Or should it stay the way it is?
   I love our campus the way it is! I would only ask for more traditions!

What is one of the “Top 10 things to do” on your list before you die?
   Skydiving! For some reason it is really difficult to find someone who is willing to jump out of a plane with me… 

What motivates you to do your best?
   The role models I have had in my life. Everyday I work hard hoping that I make my grandparents proud that they raised me. I hope to be at least half the woman that my Aunt Jenny is. I hope that I can inspire someone the way that Mrs. Dunay, my middle school teacher and lifetime friend, has inspired me.

How has being involved in school helped you as an individual?
  With every person you meet, you learn something from them. Being involved has given me the opportunity to learn from the best. 
USFSP Bull and fashion guru!