This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

It’s hard to believe that this semester is finally over. Looking back, I feel as if it all went by in the blink of an eye; I don’t know how I actually made it to the end. This has been the most difficult and challenging semester for me.

This was my first semester as an English major, and I was just starting to take upper level courses. I wasn’t at all prepared for the amount of work that was about to be thrown at me. I didn’t realize that taking five upper level classes was a kind of death sentence, especially with the particular classes that I was taking. But I did it. I didn’t drop any classes, and I just sucked it up and took it day by day. Next semester will be somewhat easier because I’m only taking thirteen credit hours instead of fifteen. Through this I learned how many classes I can handle at once.

As if classes weren’t enough, like most college students, I have a job. Normally I only work part time, but at the beginning of this semester, I was working 35+ hours. I felt as if I was trying to work two full time jobs. It wasn’t my choice; I had asked for reduced hours, but I kept getting scheduled for more. I had to stay there until I found a new job that was going to work with my school schedule. For a while, the only two days I had off were the days that I was in school from morning until late afternoon. It was extremely stressful, and the homework was starting to pile up, but I had no time to do it. Eventually I found a new job, and I was able to quit my old one. Once I did, I felt like I could breathe again. Through that, I learned how many hours I can handle while working. I learned what my breaking point is. My mom told me that there were only so many things I could handle at once; I had to decide what was most important to me.

I also moved out of my parents’ house in the middle of the semester. That was such a learning experience in itself. While it was fun and exciting, it was also really stressful as well. I had to learn how to handle moving out while working and keeping up with my homework. I had to learn how to cook (it didn’t really work because I almost started a fire, and all the lights in the apartment went off at another point), clean, and do all of my laundry and run errands on my own. I had to learn how to balance all my other responsibilities while still going back to see my family. I’m so thankful that I was able to get an apartment with a great roommate because moving to St. Petersburg was one of the best decisions that I could have made. I feel like I have so many more opportunities to get involved on campus and in the community.

As if I wasn’t busy enough, I also started writing for Her Campus this semester. It was a really great experience, and I was able to work with some amazing people to publish some great articles. I loved reading, writing, and editing everyone’s articles. I plan to continue doing this next semester as well and really look forward to it.

However, this semester wasn’t all just about stress and endless hours of work. I met some really amazing people just in these past few months. I’ve learned so much from each one of them, and they all brought something new and interesting to my life whether it be professors, other students, or coworkers. I’ve made a lot of memories this semester with all of them that are not going to easily be forgotten. Without all of them and the support of a few old, close friends, this semester would’ve been so much more difficult.

Despite the amount of stress and work from this semester, I’m sad to see it go. Being done with finals is a great feeling; I can’t believe that I actually made it to the finish line in one piece. I feel as if I can breathe again. Even though this semester was great, I’m excited for the next one. I hope all of you have an amazing break, and I’ll be back in January!

HC xoxo,

Alyssa Harmon

Photo credit: Kristina Reitz, friend and USFSP student

Alyssa Harmon is a senior at USFSP and is majoring in English Writing Studies and minoring in Mass Communication. For her senior year, she is also working on her thesis project for the Honors College. She is the current senior editor for the USFSP Her Campus chapter, as well as the 2017-2018 president and the 2018-2019 vice president for the Alpha Xi Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. In addition, she is the editor-in-chief of Papercut Literary Journal. Alyssa lived all around the country until 2013 when she and her family moved to Florida. Alyssa has a passion for reading and writing, and she's been doing that since she learned how to. Once she graduates, she wants to hopefully publish a book of some of her poetry and work as a copy editor at a publishing company. When she's not doing homework, you can find her downtown, at the beach, or in a bookstore.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.