Home vs. College Campus: Winter Break Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Living at home and living on your college campus are two very different vibes. At home, I have my parents looming over my every move. Even though they are chill and let me do as I please, they still know everything. They know when I leave the house and when I come back, then they always want to know what I was doing, they know when I go to bed and when I get up, when I eat, when I visit a friend, or otherwise. Everything about my life, they know, and sometimes it’s just too much. 

Although, even if having parents around doesn’t bother you, if you grew up in a small town like I did, there’s just nothing to do. There is very little I can do other than walk around the mall or sit in a parking lot, especially coming back for winter break when it’s cold outside. This is something I realized after I came back from my first fall semester. Especially going from the St. Petersburg area, close to downtown, warm weather, and constantly being around people, back to New York in an area that’s a mix between rural and suburban. It’s a very big adjustment.

Everyone tells you that when you come home for breaks, you’ll be excited to see your friends, but then after about a week or less, you’ll want to go back to school. However, I didn’t believe it until I experienced it. Your life at college becomes the new normal and not your home life. Growing up, I never realized how little entertainment there was in my town. This may be because in high school, I was always on the move. Between school, homework, and extracurriculars I had no time to notice the lack of things to do in my free time. Now when I’m home, if I’m not hanging out with my friends, I’m doing nothing. Zilch. I usually just sit in the house with my parents all day. Don’t get me wrong, I love them and love hanging out with them, but I get bored eventually. My friends from home all are either in college and don’t get back for break until around Christmas time – when I’m about to leave – or they are still in high school. They have the life that I used to have with their crazy busy schedules. So especially after going out of state for college, it is hard to hang out with them. 

Now, life on campus is a different story. There are always people around and activities going on. One event downtown that I absolutely love is the Saturday Morning Market. There are tons of vendors and it’s all outside so a bunch of people bring their dogs, – my favorite part. It is also food and plant galore. There are three vendors whose plants I always check out, and I try to restrain myself from buying out the place. I definitely leave there with an empty wallet, not just because of the plants, but the food is just incredible. My favorite spot is the empanadas. I always get two because they are that scrumdiddlyumptious. There is always a crazy line, but it’s worth it. The last time I went, I got a steak, caramelized onion, and provolone empanada. I’m pretty sure I melted after I ate it and did the happy food dance. Plus, I’m able to go outside, unlike New York in the dead of winter. I can sit in my hammock and read or hang out by the water and not freeze to death because it’s 30 degrees or less outside. With so much going on in the downtown area and on campus, there is no shortage of fun activities. I can walk around downtown, skateboard to the pier, attend events, or join some of the many clubs on campus. There is even the opportunity to go to Tampa or the beach on a nice weekend since they are both within driving distance. I love being so close to the beach because I love the atmosphere of it. Even if it’s chilly and I can’t go in the water, it is usually still warm enough to sit in the sand and read a book or just hang out with friends. 

Not only are there activities around, but I am living on my own. There is just something different about living without your parents or any sort of supervision. The college experience is a bridge into adulthood, and adulthood is being responsible for yourself as a human being in the world. College is where you can try things that your parents may not have let you do or do things without their judgment. A sense of freedom and independence. Able to do as I please freely, no questions asked. Being able to hold myself accountable for any decisions I make, like what I spend my money on. I think one of the biggest things for me is the romantic relationships I hold. I don’t have to tiptoe or see what they would say until I have figured it out already. There is the freedom to leave at 11 at night and come back at 2 in the morning.  

For me, home and college life became two separate entities. I have my college friends, college activities, and a totally different lifestyle. It becomes an adjustment to come home, and I feel that most college students experience this sooner than later in their college years so plan for those conflicting emotions ahead of time. 

Hello! My name is Dorian, I am a writer for Her Campus at USFSP and this is my second year as a college student but have junior standing. I am a psychology major with a criminology minor. I am from Goshen, New York; no I am not from New York City! I was a lifeguard and swim lesson instructor for many years which came from my nine years of competitive swimming. I love working with the kids and seeing them and their skills grow and flourish. My career goal is to do behavior research on children with disabilities. I am highly interested in how the brain works and how it works differently in different people. In my free time, I LOVE to hammock and soak up the sun in my photosynthesizing time. I usually bring a silly little book with me or just chill with my friends. One of my favorite activities is going on random adventures with my friends and just letting the wind blow us wherever it may go. I have also recently begun to learn how to long-board. I also enjoy going to the gym with my friends to get those big muscles. Another one of my favorite activities is getting tattoos; my goal is to cover myself in art.