toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Culture Isn’t Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

The countdown to Halloween is officially here. We are a few days away from that time of year where people of all ages get to partake in a night where their identities are put on the back burner and their new personas take center stage.

For some, much preparation goes into picking out that perfect costume. You have to factor where you are going, whether or not there’s a theme, if you’re going to multiple parties (you can’t wear the same thing twice…of course) you have to try to be original (do girls still dress up as cats?) and if you ask certain females, getting that guy from class to notice you is at the top of the list. These, seemingly, are thoughts that run through college students’ minds while picking out an outfit to wear. However, something major seems to escape minds in the month of October. Cultural appropriation.

Race and sensitivity have been touchy subjects this year and have become increasingly heightened with the upcoming election. I’m forever reminded of this when I’m scrolling on social media and post after post brings attention to how America is “too sensitive” and people need to “lighten up” on topics people don’t feel comfortable with. Even though it seems like it’s all everyone talks about, I think it’s important to keep such topics in your mind while trying to figure out what to be for Halloween.

While shopping for the winning costume, ask yourself a few questions. What are my intentions with this costume? What ethnic group does this outfit or hairstyle belong to? Are they oppressed? Do I need to alter my skintone in anyway? Would this make my peers uncomfortable? Is this stereotypical?

If yes was answered to any of these questions, I would ask myself one more thing: Is it worth it?

Native Americans are fighting to protect their water, fighting to avoid expulsion for speaking their native languages in classrooms and just fighting to live, seeing as how their people were almost completely killed off. I hardly see how putting your hair in braids, slapping on some face paint, and wearing a skimpy outfit is anything but trivializing. But that’s just me.

Native Americans should be looked at with admiration-same with Asian people, African Americans, Middle Eastern people, everyone. And if we have that much admiration for them to the point where we feel so inclined to be them one day a year, perhaps we can channel that energy to helping them. That’s more effective.

It’s okay to admire a culture that is opposite yours. It’s okay to want to emulate a character on your favorite TV show that’s ethnically different from you. It’s okay to admire beautiful clothes worn by people of different cultures. It’s not okay to appropriate them. It’s not okay to dismiss the feelings and concerns of people that represent the very ones you are mocking. It’s not a sensitivity issue. I consider it more of a “I don’t want my everyday life sold at Target” issue.

HCXOXO, Imani

Photo resources:

http://plusquotes.com/images-halloween-img-photos-happy.php

https://mic.com/articles/126956/here-s-what-happens-when-native-americans-try-on-indian-halloween-costumes#.ERMiOEOgd

Hi! My name is Imani and I am a 21 year old Mass Communications major living in sunny Florida. I love traveling, listening to music and you, know, occasionally writing.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.