CASA St. Petersburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Last Wednesday night, USFSP held their first ever Benefit-a-Bull Fashion Show, where students strutted their stuff wearing beautiful clothing from local boutiques and thrift stores from downtown St. Petersburg.

This particular event wasn’t a regular fashion show, but was a charity fashion show benefiting CASA, a local non-profit organization. Many of the guests were asked if they could donate their used clothes to the show, which would then be donated to CASA’s thrift store.

CASA, or Community Action Stops Abuse, is an organization that helps to stop domestic violence and any abusive behaviors between women, men, children and families. One in four women every year are victims of some type of abusive behavior, so having a place like CASA to come to to get help is a pretty amazing thing. They offer a variety of helpful tools that point victims, or suspected victims, in the right direction so that they can feel safe. Tools such as hotlines, support groups and even shelters are available in a time of need. Domestic Abuse is not the only abusive behavior that is common, behaviors such as sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional and mental abuse psychological abuse are just a few.  

CASA is not only doing an amazing job at helping victims create a new safe life for themselves, but is also getting the word out in the community that stopping domestic violence is a serious matter and is happening every day.

Photos used from the CASA St. Petersburg website.