This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Some may know G-Eazy for his rap music, others may just know him as Halsey’s boyfriend, but do people out there know G-Eazy’s true story and how he became famous?

I’ve never really listened to his music much before, except for a couple hits here and there that were constantly being played on radio. I also didn’t know too much about G-Eazy as a person until I watched his episode on the Netflix series called Rapture. Each episode of this series focuses on one rap artist, who tells their life story and how they reached the level of success they have now. This episode really opened my eyes and motivated me to get to know G-Eazy even more through his music.

G-Eazy mentioned that he has actually been in the music industry for about 10 years now, which was so shocking for me to hear. For about 7-8 of those years the music he  produced never landed. When he tried to approach a record label in his early days, they didn’t see much potential in G-Eazy and let him go. However, he didn’t let this stop him from pursuing his dreams of becoming a rapper. He continued to get any gig he could, post music to the Internet, drop mixtapes like crazy even while in school, and just hoped that someday someone out there would see the potential that he knew he had within himself to do what he loves – produce music. He began to make a name for himself all on his own, and by 2014 he was able to finally sign a record deal.

“It’s all part of the process. Things don’t happen by accident. Even overnight sensations take years and years. I look at music as any other creative field: you have to push yourself to develop your craft, to improve your technique, your perspective.”  

G-Eazy has been through a challenging life, and constantly deals with battles he has within himself, letting it all go through the lyrics of the songs he produces. It’s like taking a peek into his diary and innermost thoughts on everything he is struggling to overcome. He’s vulnerable and has no fear in letting the world know that although it may seem that he lives a perfect life now with all the fame and fortune, he’s still going through hardships that we all go through on a day-to-day basis as “normal” people.

When an artist is open and honest with their music, it makes it that much more powerful to those listening. You form a deeper connection with the artist, feeling as though you are one in the same despite their celebrity status. G-Eazy does a great job in doing this with the music he creates, and he is a great example of dreams becoming a reality with hard work and determination.

HCXOXO,

Shayla Fajardo

Shayla Fajardo is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg who is majoring in Biology. She enjoys eating unhealthy amounts of pizza, hanging out with friends, binge watching Netflix shows, and attending concerts. A goal of hers has always been to be more involved on campus, so she made sure to actively be involved in three clubs at USFSP- Her Campus, Multicultural Activities Council, and Harborside Activities Board. Shayla's ultimate life goal is to one day become a marine biologist who can travel the world and make a difference.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.