Feature Hero Oral Sex Toy Herojpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Feature Hero Oral Sex Toy Herojpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus / Megan Charles
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Sex Toys are the Answer to Your Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Listen, the day I got my first sex toy was the best day of my life and I really mean that. Even after having sex, I still preferred my toys over any partner I had been with. Now it might sound a little dramatic, but I will always argue for anyone to try sex toys because they are a game-changer not only for you, but also for a relationship if you want to try something new. Either way, it is beneficial in many aspects and I highly recommend them. From vibrators to butt plugs, there are endless possibilities for you to explore. 

The Power is in Your Hands 

In the world of worrying about mixed messages and horrible events, consent is vital and the most important thing. When it comes to you and your toy, you are in charge and you give the consent. You stop whenever you want and you call the shots. There is never a worry about having another person in the equation when you have a good toy!

You Can Get Anything You Want 

There is an endless variety of toys to choose from in the sex toy market. If you can imagine it, you can probably find it and they come in various prices that fit your budget. Toys also aren’t limited to just you, but can bring more fun to a partnership dynamic! By now, you’ve probably heard of pegging from the internet, but in order to do that, a sex toy is needed! If you want something for a more personal need, they have everything from clit stimulation to whatever fleshlight you want. Sometimes, they can get a little pricey, but the toy is worth its cost. Make sure you look into the type, size, and function of the toy you want ahead of time. 

Lots of Sex Shops are Super Friendly and Helpful 

If you find yourself struggling to know what to get or do not know where to get one, I have a few recommendations. The most helpful places I have been to are Adam and Eve or Bellisa Boutique! Their customer service is great and their insight into what would be best for a beginner is really helpful. If going to these stores or visiting their websites seem a little overwhelming, Target also has a small selection to choose from. If you want toy recommendations, you can simply ask what specific function you want the toy to do and there is no reason to be shy about it. Trust me, they have probably heard everything and will know exactly how to help you in your search. 

Maintenance is Easy

Another amazing feature of sex toys is that their maintenance is super easy and quick. Lots of stores have cleaning spray specifically for your toys, but in reality you can just use any old soap and water then dry the toy. Just make sure not to get any water in the battery area and remember to completely rinse it off. Nobody wants soap where it is not supposed to be. It is recommended to wash before and after use of a sex toy to avoid any bacterial infections, so make sure to wash and dry your toys properly. On top of that, if a toy stops working, usually the fastest solution to the issue is a new battery, a quick charge, or simply more lube. Either way, the party stops for a minute, but then you can get right back to it! 

Always a Happy Ending 

Lastly, no matter what you choose to use, there is always a happy ending with a sex toy. You do not have to fake it or pretend you liked it, when you are completely in control of how long you want to use your toy. It is up to you to make it to a happy ending or not. Your sex life is in your hands 100% of the time and self-exploration is important in order to create a healthy relationship with your body. Make sure to research what you are interested in ahead of time and only do what you want to do. To put it simply, go fuck yourself. It’s a game-changer. 

Becca is a graduating senior Communication Studies major with a focus in Public Relations from the University of San Francisco. She is currently located in Las Vegas, Nevada due to the pandemic and enjoys consuming too many true crime shows and obsessing over her dog. She aspires to be a public relations professional specializing in political campaigns as a speech writer or campaign manager in the future. For now, she is enjoying finishing school and figuring out what all she wants to do in life besides work.
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!