Trendsetters of the 80s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

The 1980s are known for for their bold prints and bright pops of color. Here are a few 1980s celebrities whose styles, despite their outlandishness, are actually more prevalent today than we think.

David Bowie. Platforms have been making a big comeback, and David Bowie was rocking them before we were even born. Also his pantsuit thing was probably the precursor of the romper.

Debbie Harry. The lead singer of Blondie was sporting crop tops long before they were mainstream. 

Steven Morrissey. No one will ever be able to pull off hipster glasses quite like The Smiths’ Morrissey.

Boy George. Obviously most people don’t get quite as into into hair accessories as this pop singer did, but I can definitely see a connection between this and all the hair wraps, hair feathers and ribbon braids that have been trending in the last few years.

Madonna. No 80s style article would be complete without Madonna. She may be known for her extreme fashion Don’ts, but she’s had a few Dos. Like here, for example. Neon sweater game=on point.

Pat Benatar. The “Love is a Battlefield” singer’s high waisted skirt will always be a great wardrobe staple.

Natalie is a freshman at the University of San Francisco. She is an English major with an emphasis in Literature and is an active member of the Xi Lambda chapter of Delta Zeta sorority.