This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

School Year: 2008
Hometown: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Current City: Santa Monica, California
Major: Communication (Graduated Summa Cum Laude)
Activities and Societies: Alpha Sigma Nu, Lambda Pi Eta

Don’t we all wish we can land the dream job right out of college? Well meet Jake Slane, the man who has done is all. He indeed is among the lucky few who are off to a very successful start from the moment they graduate. Jake has been fortunate enough to land the job as a publicist for LOGO, VH1 and MTV networks.

Before getting his big break, Jake worked as an intern for Fleishman-Hillard, a world leading strategic communication firm, from May to September 2006. Here he was part of a team that was responsible for brainstorming client pitches, billing clients and responding to media inquiries. After that, Jake became a freelance publicity coordinator for Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards in 2006, 2007 and 2008. In June 2008, he landed his current position as publicist for VH1, MTV and LOGO. It is through his hard work and dedication that he has reached such high success. He is further living proof that hard work pays off.

Some of his duties as a publicist for these networks are to build and maintain relationships with the media. He is in charge of connecting the press with celebrities. He is expected to write plenty of press releases and pitch stories. Many times this also includes putting together biographies of celebs on TV shows that are later featured on VH1, LOGO or MTV. While there is plenty of time, work and energy that goes into a career in publicity, Jake has also seen the more rewarding side of his job. When he is not busy brainstorming, writing and editing pitches, Jake puts together screenings of shows and attends red carpet events and premiere parties.

As another part of his job, Jake is also responsible for escorting celebs down the red carpet. This means he is responsible for ushering celebrities and introducing them to reporters. Jake has had the pleasure of working with several well-known celebrities, such as RuPaul and Debbie Reynolds. One of the most awesome stories Jake has about being on the job is from when he was on one of his first tasks. He had recently started his job and he was assigned to escort the “Golden Girls” to the TV Land Awards. How cool is that? Talk about a good day at work!

Here’s a fun little clip of Jake and the awesome staff he gets to work with at LOGO. 

Coming across Her Campus as a senior in high school and then leading her very own branch, Emily proudly calls herself the co-president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus University of San Francisco. While Emily has a guilty addiction to shopping, celebrities, and all things "girly" she hopes that she can integrate this into a relatable magazine to the women of her campus. Emily has a slight infatuation for John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When she's not day dreaming about her future husbands, Emily is participating in many extra curricular activities such as her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Emily enjoys good company, good FOOD, and a good ole' television. One of the most recent television series Emily has become a fan of is ABC's Pan Am. If only Pan Am continued to exist, Emily would have seriously considered becoming a stewardess. The success of the branch has yet to blossom. Emily hopes that she can bring Her Campus University of San Francisco to its full potential. In the future, Emily plans studying abroad all over the European continent and pursue her passion of social justice through fashion.