This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Between a busy class schedule, family commitments and work it is often difficult to remember to do everything I know that I should be doing. Once I am in bed after a long day, it can be tempting to stay put – even after I realize I didn’t wash my makeup off. While going a night without washing your face won’t kill you, forgetting to drink water – the most basic element of human nutrition, can be really bad for you. I know this first hand as I often get migraines and dizziness from forgetting to drink water, not to mention my skin and hair suffer. It isn’t unusual for me to have my first glass of water with dinner, because I don’t remember earlier in the day as my mind is buzzing with the day’s to-do list. That’s why I have devised a four part strategy to trick my body into consuming more water, and if you are behind on your New Year’s resolution of hydration perhaps you can take a few of these tips.

Tea Time

Having a hot tea in the morning before or instead of coffee is a great way to wake your body up, jump start your system and break the liquids-fast of the night before. I like to have both, first an herbal tea like mint or chamomile while I am getting dressed and ready for the day, then a coffee when I have breakfast. Non-caffeinated teas are a great way to drink more water without feeling like you are just chugging – and they can be made sugar free or calorie free with the exclusion of sweeter or cream. I also like having iced tea while I am doing online classes or working, it feels like a yummy treat but I am actually able to drink a lot of water (and ice). My favorite tea for iced teas are fruity flavors like peach or raspberry – often on sale for 2 boxes for $5

Aesthetic Water

This might be super shallow but I don’t care. I know for a fact that if I have a cute water bottle or tumbler I will pay more attention to it and drink more water. Recently I got a pink square water bottle and keep it full, right on my desk at all times. Genuinely, having a vessel that you really like can make it all that much easier to meet your hydration needs.  

Hidden Water

Another great way to hydrate yourself is to eat foods that have a high water content. This can be a range of things, from soups, like minestrone or chicken noodle, to fruits and vegetables, like watermelon, cucumbers, celery, and more. Additionally, incorporating a water-based smoothie can be a great way to get more H2O into your system. I highly recommend making a pineapple, spinach, banana smoothie with a bit of greek yogurt and water – super filling and hydrating. This is probably one of my favorite ways to increase my water intake, plus I get to explore new recipes and make amazing dishes – I love a good cup of chicken noodle soup. 

Accountability

If, like me, you barely get thirsty at all and always forget to drink water or wouldn’t gravitate to the strategies outlined above, maybe making a tracker would be the best way to stay consistent and meet your goals. I did this for a few months, and it really helped me with my awareness. I made a page in my planner and set the minimum for 4 glasses of water (not even the recommended amount), and if I achieved my goal I would color in that day’s box. As a result of being more aware of my intake, I often would accidentally drink way more than 4 glasses of water which is great. 

Being aware that you should drink more water is probably the hardest step, coming up with strategies that fit your lifestyle and goals is the next challenge. As summer creeps up on us, drinking water in hot weather is even more important – hello iced tea and smoothies! Figuring out a plan and sticking to it will yield the best results, both for your health and strength. If this article inspired you to make any yummy smoothies or create a habit tracker snap a pic and tag us on Instagram @HerCampusAtUSFCA!

Marisa is a senior @ USFCA in the sustainability and global affairs sphere, thinking about emerging economies, outreach and innovation. A digital nomad & explorer with a curious mind– and an accidental empanada connoisseur!
MaryCate (she/her) is a graduate of the University of San Francisco with a BA in International Studies. MaryCate is now a Master's student at Sciences Po in Paris, France studying European Affairs and Global Health.