How NOT To Get Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The crystal clear view from your dorm window is morphing into a foggy blur of gray haze. Tissues and cough drop wrappers start to canvas your bedroom desk. A portable pack of Kleenex becomes a regular in your coat pocket. Yep, winter weather is here. And although the cold isn’t unbearable, it brings with it a series of stuffy noses and fussy coughs that beg to be cured.

But you don’t have time to get sick – you’ve got exams and projects to think about! No worries, ladies. We’ve gathered up the best ways to stay healthy amidst the chaos. Follow these tips to steer clear of that nasty winter bug!

Stock Up On Essentials

Prevention is key. But so is preparation. So although you’re not planning on getting sick, it’s smart to keep a few helpful products on hand. Grab some Kleenex, Airborne, and cough drops, just in case. The good news is that you can use your excess flexi to buy all of these things! Head to Outtahere or Outtakes and pick up these essentials today.

Stay Warm and Cozy

Think fuzzy socks and soft, flannel PJ bottoms. Staying warm when the cold strikes is a huge part of your anti-sick strategy. When you do go out, make sure to bundle up and wear layers. Go for knit scarves, cute hats, and chic sweaters.

Drink Tea

It’s no secret that tea can warm cold hands and quell sore throats. Lucky for you, the caf sells everything from strong green tea to soothing chamomile, so you can mix it up each day. Try adding honey or cream to make your cup extra tasty!

Exercise In Moderation

Koret is calling! Head over to USF’s humongous gym to get moving, ward off colds, and take a mental break. Sure, it’s easy to put off another workout. But the benefits definitely outweigh any excuses you can come up with! If you find the treadmill boring, try taking a Zumba or Pilates class. These cardio workouts reap the same health benefits as your standard elliptical routine. Gym-phobic? Try taking a walk, if the weather permits. Even a nice stroll outside will help keep you alert and healthy.

Eat Healthy

Sure, we all like to pig out every once in awhile. And a fresh slice of pizza usually looks more appealing than a plate of veggies. But it’s important to make sure you’re getting all your nutrients. This’ll help keep your immune system strong and your energy levels up. Getting ample nutrients needn’t be hard – simply add a side salad to your meal and nosh on some fresh fruit for a snack. Smoothies and juices can also pack a punch. If you don’t have time to make it over to Jamba Juice, stop by the deli in Koret and customize your drink. Even more convenient, you can always pick up a Naked juice or Odwalla smoothie from the caf on your way to class!

Think H20

This tip goes hand-in-hand with the previous one. Drinking water flushes out your system and keeps you hydrated. It’s important in combating colds, since it really gets the toxins moving. We recommend toting around a reusable water bottle. Just make sure to wash it out with hot water every so often!

Get Some Sleep

We all know that 8 hours is ideal, but it’s not always that easy! The college lifestyle isn’t exactly conducive to a regular sleep schedule. But it’s important to make an effort to log as many zzz’s as you can, even if that means hitting the sack an hour or two earlier certain weeknights. Sleep is paramount. It lets our bodies rest and regenerate, which is vital in the quest to stay healthy. If you’re on-the-go 24/7, of course you’ll start to get run-down. So give yourself a break – turn off the alarm this weekend and indulge in some much needed relaxation.

Stay In

It’s no fun to be stuck inside when you want to be out partying, but consider this: spending one night in might save you from weeks of having to do so. If you still want to hang out with friends, change things up with a movie marathon or a girls’ night in!

If You Do Get Sick…

Despite your very best efforts, you just might find yourself bogged down with a cold. If over-the-counter meds just won’t do it, you may want to stop by the health center. Docs can write prescriptions make helpful recommendations, so you’ll be one step closer to getting back on your feet!

USF’s health clinic is located in St. Mary’s Medical Center. To make an appointment, call 415-750-4980.

The clinic is open during the following hours:

Monday: 8:30 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 – 5:00 pm
Tuesday – Friday: 8:30 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 – 4:00 pm
*Closed 12:00-1:00pm for lunch
*Closed on Saturday and Sunday

Dani Wong is a sophomore at the University of San Francisco, where she is double majoring in media studies and journalism. After her short story was published in a recent book, she decided to explore a new facet of writing and became involved with student newspapers and magazines. Between interning, taking classes, and exploring San Francisco, Dani is embracing the new opportunities that city life brings. Her true loves include traveling, taking photographs, playing sports and anything food related!