How To Have A Fun AND Productive Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

With March ending, many of us are eagerly waiting for summer break. There’s nothing wrong with having a little time for relaxation, but you should use this break wisely and consider all of your options. Don’t fret, dear collegietes, because we’re here to show you how to have a fun AND productive summer. 

Consider Taking Summer Classes

You may be thinking that there is no way you are going to spend your summer taking boring classes and wasting your precious time on school. However, it is a great opportunity to get ahead on credits and graduate early. Plus, many institutions have a tuition discount, which means you are going to pay less than you normally would. Summer sessions usually have different kinds of classes ranging from science to theology. However, you can also take fun classes like dancing or a language to spice up your summer!

Find A Job

Start to look for a job now because later on it is going to be competitive with everyone returning from college to your hometown. Reach for the stars and apply to jobs that you wouldn’t normally apply to. Many offices love to have students because of their energy and positive attitude. Go to websites like Craigslist and start a search!

Volunteer

Volunteering is always a good thing to put on your resume! Whether it’s in the hospital or in the animal shelter, it means that you dedicated your time to public service. In addition, many organizations offer internships or even jobs to their volunteers – based on performance. That way, you’re not only getting volunteer experience, but the potential to broaden your horizons!

Get An Internship

An internship is the best way to experience first hand the type of employment that you are going for. Internships can be paid or non-paid, but either way you gain a massive amount of knowledge of your field. When you graduate from college it is really hard to find suitable job without any experience or internships. In the long run, getting an internship will be the best decision that you have ever made! Talk to the counselors in the career offices in your institutions to see which companies are recruiting students for summer. 

Relax

Finally, take some time to relax from all the stress of school. Sit by the pool, hang out with friends, shop, go to the beach, and have a fun!

Best of luck!

Coming across Her Campus as a senior in high school and then leading her very own branch, Emily proudly calls herself the co-president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus University of San Francisco. While Emily has a guilty addiction to shopping, celebrities, and all things "girly" she hopes that she can integrate this into a relatable magazine to the women of her campus. Emily has a slight infatuation for John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When she's not day dreaming about her future husbands, Emily is participating in many extra curricular activities such as her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Emily enjoys good company, good FOOD, and a good ole' television. One of the most recent television series Emily has become a fan of is ABC's Pan Am. If only Pan Am continued to exist, Emily would have seriously considered becoming a stewardess. The success of the branch has yet to blossom. Emily hopes that she can bring Her Campus University of San Francisco to its full potential. In the future, Emily plans studying abroad all over the European continent and pursue her passion of social justice through fashion.