How to Avoid Culture Clashes between Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

The most exciting part of a fresh new start in college is finding out who your future roommate is for the year. Although this person may be your first friend if you’re a freshman, or a new friend if you’re a returning student to the dorms, not every roommate experience is going to be perfect.

One of the occurring issues on many campuses across the United States are the cultural differences between roommates. At University of San Francisco we are known for our diversity. International students from all over the world come to San Francisco, eager to be in a new environment. Many students feel that “cultural barrier” getting in the way of their college experience, which immediately results in an uncomfortable and awkward silence in your own home. Before you give up, use these tips to resolve your roommate problems and improve both of your college experiences from here!

Get To Know Your Roommate
It’s hard enough to find friends on your own, try coming from a different country. There is bound to be culture shocks from both sides. Try doing a little research from where your roommate is coming from. Once they arrive to campus, you will be able to talk with them about what you already know from their home! Ask them questions about their home country, family, and culture. This will immediately break the ice by showing your interest and making them feel welcomed not only in America, but at the university as well.

Communication Is Key!
This is a tough one, but applies to everyone when having a roommate. Rooming with an international student is difficult in the sense that English is most likely not their native language. They may be a little harder to warm up to but this doesn’t mean they don’t want to talk to you or spend time with you. You will have to take initiative and open up to them. Invite them to hang out with your other friends or go study in the library together! The more you open up to them they will definitely be feeling a lot more comfortable around you.

Set Rules and Boundaries

It’s best to set up the “ground rules”—rules that you both agree on—as early as possible. This will make a big difference, because some college students ignore setting rules until a problem occurs. Do not wait until something bothers you or makes either of you uncomfortable. The both of you are used to a certain lifestyle, so you will both have opinions about how you want to live comfortably. If anything, this is the time to be the most vocal, and make sure to talk about the basics such as cleaning, sharing, study hours, etc. At times, your roommate may need to make a long distance call to their family at an unusual time. Take into consideration the time differences, but compromise a time of day during week when your roommate will plan to be on the phone that will be convenient for both of you. 

Embrace the Differences
Lastly, embrace the differences! Although you may be from opposite sides of the world and from completely different cultures, you will learn so much about each other. Maybe, you will even realize that you two are not so different after all!  

Coming across Her Campus as a senior in high school and then leading her very own branch, Emily proudly calls herself the co-president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus University of San Francisco. While Emily has a guilty addiction to shopping, celebrities, and all things "girly" she hopes that she can integrate this into a relatable magazine to the women of her campus. Emily has a slight infatuation for John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When she's not day dreaming about her future husbands, Emily is participating in many extra curricular activities such as her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Emily enjoys good company, good FOOD, and a good ole' television. One of the most recent television series Emily has become a fan of is ABC's Pan Am. If only Pan Am continued to exist, Emily would have seriously considered becoming a stewardess. The success of the branch has yet to blossom. Emily hopes that she can bring Her Campus University of San Francisco to its full potential. In the future, Emily plans studying abroad all over the European continent and pursue her passion of social justice through fashion.