Fair Trade Shopping Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Here at Her Campus, we know a lot of you San Franciscans are conscious shoppers.

“Fair Trade” means farmers and workers are getting their end of the deal. A fair trade certified product ensures that no slave labor was involved. Everything is justly compensated. It also means that the money from the sale is going back to the community. Here’s list of the city’s best fair trade-friendly options!

LUSH

LUSH products are vegan, vegetarian, homemade, and Fair Trade. There are plenty of goodies at LUSH, from bath bombs to fresh face masks. You can visit the store to pick up one of the many preciously wrapped gift boxes, which come with an assortment of LUSH goods.

The Charity Pot body lotion is a great stocking stuffer. 100% of the proceeds go to grassroots charities all around the world. It’s made possible because all the materials were donated and volunteers worked to make the lotion. The fair trade cocoa butter provides a rich and creamy chocolate scent and the almond oil makes your skin really soft.

$5 for 1.7 oz

LUSH is located on Powell St, Downtown or Union St, Marina District.

Krochet Kids International

These hats are made by Northern Ugandans. Krochet Kids intl, a non-profit organization, teaches people in developing countries how to crochet as a means to break the poverty cycle. The hope is that they will no longer be dependant on the government and aid organizations. The workers want to be able to provide for their own families. You can help sustain their dream by purchasing one of their hats!

Prices vary

Products can be found online on the company’s website or at Nordstrom stores.

Divine Chocolate

Mmmm. Who doesn’t love chocolate? This rich, creamy chocolate melts in your mouth. It will taste better than any other chocolate bar you have ever purchased. There’s only one word to describe it: divine!

The cocoa industry has taken a lot of heat over the past few years. It is often tied to human trafficking and forced child labor. When you eat chocolate from Divine, you know you are supporting cocoa farmers in Africa. The farmers of Divine grow and harvest the cocoa themselves. The company makes everything from bars to mini chocolates and truffles.

Prices vary

USF used to sell every type of bar. Now you can buy products online!

Whole Foods

The holiday season brings constant baking and delicious food. Luckily, Whole Foods carries loads of fair trade products! Just look for a fair trade certified symbol the next time you go grocery shopping.

If you want to learn more, go to this website. From there, you can download the Fair Trade Finder app to help when you’re on-the-go!

Coming across Her Campus as a senior in high school and then leading her very own branch, Emily proudly calls herself the co-president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus University of San Francisco. While Emily has a guilty addiction to shopping, celebrities, and all things "girly" she hopes that she can integrate this into a relatable magazine to the women of her campus. Emily has a slight infatuation for John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When she's not day dreaming about her future husbands, Emily is participating in many extra curricular activities such as her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Emily enjoys good company, good FOOD, and a good ole' television. One of the most recent television series Emily has become a fan of is ABC's Pan Am. If only Pan Am continued to exist, Emily would have seriously considered becoming a stewardess. The success of the branch has yet to blossom. Emily hopes that she can bring Her Campus University of San Francisco to its full potential. In the future, Emily plans studying abroad all over the European continent and pursue her passion of social justice through fashion.