gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Collegiettes in Tinderland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Let’s talk about Tinder.

Trust me when I tell you that Tinder at USF can be your best friend or your worst nightmare. The most important thing to remember upon embarking on your new Tinder journey is that you need to know what you’re looking for and be able to communicate it to someone else. There are plenty of people out there that are also looking for something more meaningful than a late night, between the shelves Gleeson hookup. Plenty of people actually want to get to know you as a person because guess what, you’re pretty awesome. Trust me on that one.

My Tindering experiences have ranged from a one night rendezvous to a full fledged relationship, so I am a former Tinderella turned expert on the how to of the seemingly shallow dating game. There are a few tips on the swiping craze that I can share to help you make it work for what you need, but remember: there are a million different ways to Tinder so use my expertise to guide you to your Tinder Prince or Princess.

1.    Put your best selfie forward. I don’t typically condone judging based on appearance alone and I know you have the depth of a thousand oceans, but it all starts with a smoldering look under the city lights or a fun-loving ocean beach pic. If you want more matches then you need more pictures, it’s just science. Try to choose pictures that truly represent who you are because sometimes people (definitely never me) get a little overexcited with the swiping and forget to read your very well thought out bio where you detail your passions of “good books” and  “strong cups of coffee”. I suggest you instead add an artsy picture of you with a latte and a copy of Wuthering Heights.

2.    To swipe or not to swipe. Unless you feel personally offended by their mantra or their spring break pictures from Vegas, go ahead and swipe right. A swipe is not a contract and more options are always better. Don’t ever not swipe right because you think someone is too good for you because your presence is a welcome gift to their iPhone screen. Give most people a chance at first glance because trust me they will weed themselves out of the running for your heart when the messages start flooding in.

3.    Modern day Shakespeare or barely literate buffoon? I am all about switching up gender roles and if you see someone fly, shoot them the first message. They will be charmed upon first notification by your wit and basic understanding of grammar. You don’t owe everyone who shoots you a “Hey, what’s up?” a response. In fact, when I was still in the dating pool I waited for the messages that caught my attention because they were different. Do not mistake a copied and pasted overused introduction/ pick-up line as someone putting in effort. These will become very clear as you become a more seasoned Tinderer.

4.    Phone numbers, Facebook, and follow-ups. Give out your number sparingly. Over a year after I retired my account I still have countless contacts with just a first name and to make it all the more confusing I have their last names as “Tinder” (because I am clever like that). There is nothing wrong with messaging strictly on Tinder and if they ask for your number in the first 10 messages, it’s a no-go. These people are more interested in collecting phone numbers than actually getting to know you. Even worse than your number is exchanging Facebook profiles or Snapchat usernames. I don’t think I have to say where their mind is headed if they ask you to snap them. I barely want to see people I knew in high school and distant relatives on my feed, spare me the agony of a missed Tinder connection’s political views.

5.    The danger of a date. I know that sounds like an after school special to warn kids of the harms of online dating, but seriously: be smart. Meet up with your Tinder dates in public and preferably in groups. My freshman year roommate/ real world goddess/ one of my best friends met some of my Tinder dates as a pre-screening process before I went with them. She also had me text her periodically throughout the night. DO NOT go to anyone’s apartment. If you’re trying to get straight to the down and dirty (you go, girl) always go for a home court advantage. Insert mandatory bit about safe sex practices and knowing your limits.

The USF dating scene is nothing to write to your BFFs at home about, so never be ashamed to take to the Internet for some flirty fun. At any given moment, at least half of the people in the UC building are scouring their online profiles for a soul mate. If you’re lucky like me, you may even find one and they may be closer than you think. Tinder away, collegiettes.  

Amelia is a junior at the University of San Francisco. She is an English major with a writing concentration and has a minor in music. She is a part time songbird and a full time lover of linguistics.
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!