Coachella Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

It’s that time of the year where the green polo fields of Coachella are destroyed by the thousands of festival goers. The grass cannot be saved but you can! Here’s a little survival guide.

Hydration

If you’re going to Coachella, you MUST STAY HYDRATED. No “ands, ifs, or buts” on this one. In fact, you should be hydrated prior to leaving for the festival. Here’s a simple test: Check your pee. If’s clear, you’re good. If not, keep drinking water and make sure it’s clear before entering the festival!

After each night, drink lots of water. Get some sleep. Drink lots of water again in the morning. Eat a proper breakfast. Rock out. Repeat.

What to Bring

SUNSCREEN. The temperature will be 80 degrees by 6AM and will go up to 100 degrees throughout the day.
Deodorant/perfume/cologne. Note: Please still shower. People can smell the difference between Friday and Sunday.
Keep a cooler in your car stocked with loads of ice, water, food that won’t melt, and whatever else that can save you money but aren’t allowed to bring into the venue.
Bring extra cash for merchandise.
Bring a camera to document the good times.

Clothes

Coachella is in the desert. Your skin might feel like it’s on fire. It’s going to be extremely hot but that doesn’t mean you should run around in a thong and pasties. (Guys, this one goes for you too). First of all, no one wants to see that. Second of all, you’re going to be burned in some very uncomfortable places.
So what should you wear?
Shorts, tank tops, dresses, maxi skirts/dresses, crop tops, bikini tops, sports bras. Every day will be a long day. You want to be comfortable. Don’t wear heels…. No one will show you sympathy when you get stuck in the grass/dirt.

The desert cools off at night.  Bring a light jacket or sweater- especially if you are one of those people who like to sit way in the back on the grass. Otherwise, you probably won’t need it most of the time due to people’s body heat. But hey, better safe than sorry.

Plan Ahead

Pick a meeting place for you and your friends. Set up times to meet there if your group plans to separate. This is also very helpful in case someone accidentally gets separated or someone’s phone dies.
Organized your bag to include a water bottle, sunscreen, cash, credit card, medications you might need, and even a cell phone charger if you’re one of those people who always has a dead phone.

Follow the Coachella Rules

Do not blatantly use drugs out in the open; security can be really relaxed but people do get arrested.

Don’t bring things on the banned items list. I.e. anything that can be a murder weapon or torture device, stuffed animals (they know it’s stuffed with “goodies”), instruments, etc. In fact, why would you bring your own instruments when the whole point of this weekend is to see other people play instruments? Anyway, the rest of the list and rules can be found on the Coachella website.

Enjoy Coachella!

You paid the same price (or maybe more) for the same ticket everyone else has so don’t miss one of your favorite bands because your friends aren’t cooperating or are in a bad mood.
Also…
Check out the campgrounds at night. There’s always awesome events happening and you’ll meet cool people.
Go to the Do LaB. They specialize in interactive environments. Plus, they spray you down with a hose during the day.
Lastly,
Don’t take anything for granted. Take a moment to sit down and watch the festival move around you. You’ll be glad you did.

If you are camping….

GOOD LUCK!

Coming across Her Campus as a senior in high school and then leading her very own branch, Emily proudly calls herself the co-president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus University of San Francisco. While Emily has a guilty addiction to shopping, celebrities, and all things "girly" she hopes that she can integrate this into a relatable magazine to the women of her campus. Emily has a slight infatuation for John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When she's not day dreaming about her future husbands, Emily is participating in many extra curricular activities such as her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Emily enjoys good company, good FOOD, and a good ole' television. One of the most recent television series Emily has become a fan of is ABC's Pan Am. If only Pan Am continued to exist, Emily would have seriously considered becoming a stewardess. The success of the branch has yet to blossom. Emily hopes that she can bring Her Campus University of San Francisco to its full potential. In the future, Emily plans studying abroad all over the European continent and pursue her passion of social justice through fashion.