The Best San Francisco Themed Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Because we are reclusive hermits, my best friend and I are always having movie nights. We like to choose themes that correspond to events in our lives–when we went on our post-graduation trip to Europe, we watched Mama Mia! and Monte Carlo, and when we went off to college we watched College Road Trip and Mona Lisa Smile. If themed movie nights can correspond to real life events, can’t they respond to locations as well? Sure they can! So if you’re thinking of planning a movie night for your friends, roommates, or sorority sisters, why not give it a San Francisco theme? If you need some help, I’ve ranked my top five favorite San Francisco flicks:

5. The Wedding Planner (2001)

This is a classic chick flick, and I’ve heard people say that part of it was actually filmed inside USF’s St. Ignatius Church! 

4. Basic Instinct (1992)

I’m not much for thrillers, but this one was actually good! It definitely had me on the edge of my seat. Also, it’s filled with beautiful shots of the city!

3. Boys and Girls (2000)

Sooo technically they live in Berkeley in this movie, but some parts are filmed in San Fran. It’s one of my favorites, and one of the most underrated chick flicks, in my opinion. It’s kind of like a more modern day, slightly younger people version of When Harry Met Sally. Also, Freddie Prinze, Jr. stars as an adorkable engineering major, so there’s a good reason to watch.

2. Just Like Heaven (2005)

I don’t really feel like I have to defend this movie, because basically everyone already knows how amazing it is.

1. The Princess Diaries (2001)

Shut up! The Princess Diaries is one of my favorite movies of all time, and obviously the best San Francisco chick flick. Also, can we discuss how cute her love interest, Michael is? And how much cuter he would be if he got a haircut? 

Natalie is a freshman at the University of San Francisco. She is an English major with an emphasis in Literature and is an active member of the Xi Lambda chapter of Delta Zeta sorority.